Honored Contributor

Re: How did you spend your CHRISTMAS??

@Hoovermom running back and forth between the two. This is an unpaid externship so I'm doing double duty but the tunnel is getting smaller until I can tell them to kiss it for good.
Honored Contributor

I hope everyone who is sick is feeling a lot better. I've been there on Christmas Day, and I know what it's like.

Here, two of us are not up to feeling great. DH is fighting bronchitis, and DD can't taste anything and is fighting a bad cold. She has no appetite. 

Sunday was a big day for us. At our morning service my good friend's granddaughter was baptized. Our Christmas Eve tradition now is to attend just the late service, instead of the earlier "children's" one too like we used to. We all participated in it, after going out to eat earlier. We usually drive around after our dinner, but the mix of snow and rain prevented that this year. Holding candles and singing "Silent Night" in our darkened church, then blowing the candles out, turning on all of the lights and singing "Joy to the World" at midnight is just amazing for me!

December is a really busy month for me, as it is for most of us. I hadn't started to wrap packages for my immediate family. And I wanted to start the food for Christmas Day. My own personal "tradition" is to stay up all night. Last year I did get a few hours sleep, but this year I didn't! It started with the year DD was born. I got the bright idea to make Christmas stockings for everyone, including our feline children. Around 5 in the morning, I finished, went upstairs, and flopped across the bed, knowing I had a few minutes before I had to wake my premature one-month old baby to feed her again. DH wasn't in bed. He came out of the bathroom dressed, and I asked him where he was going. He said to the airport to pick up my mom. And so it started. Something strange and different has kept me up every year!

This year it was the wrapping and cooking, and finding where I "hid" some presents! I spent a lot of time trying to remember those hiding places! I kept the TV on for company, and the kitties were all in and out trying to figure out why I was downstairs and why they were smelling food cooking!

I made it through yesterday with a quick 2-hour early afternoon nap. But today I slept most of the day. I knew I could, and I didn't feel guilty at all! DH and I are alone tonight. Our children are out with friends from high school who are back home for the holiday season. 

We will have leftovers - well DH has been "snacking" some already - and I hope to relax with a Hallmark movie!

Tomorrow I will be more productive. I'm just getting too old to spend "all-nighters" any longer!  Smiley Wink

Happy Christmas Season to Everyone here! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Since DH and I have no family here, it's always just the two of us.   We try to make it festive but how festive can two people get?   It was especially hard this year because we had to put our sweet, good, goofy liitle cat to sleep on Thursday.   Of all of the pets I've ever had, he was my special one.   DH is really down as we had to put 'his' cat to sleep in July.   So weird with no cats in the house.   But we made the best of it.   We got out last night and drove around to see some xmas lights.  That was nice.

We're hoping for a better 2018.   

It's nice to read about family gatherings here.   I'm glad so many had a nice xmas.

Esteemed Contributor

Both my husband and I spent it home in bed sick, this flu it just keeps on giving, no celebrations at all, did not even put out any decorations just not enough energy, this is the 3rd week for me, I usually bake quite a bit during the holidays, not this year did minimum baking  And to top it off did not hear from one single relative, no phone calls, emails, no Christmas cards, nothing, so it was pretty dismal this year, I sent our grandson the prayer bear never even heard if it was received by our daughter, besides the tracking information, we know nothing more, knowing our daughter she sold it on one of those garage sale sites for the county in which they live, no we do not have a good relationship with her, we no longer know who she is, definitely someone I do not recognize anymore!

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal  So sorry about your cat.  I know it is difficult.  I hope you get yourself another cat that will win your heart over again.  They always do that, you know.  Happy New Year!

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@CareBears  I can relate about relatives and this year I had all I can take.  I no longer talk to my older brother.  So tired of pretending we are close and we are not.  Sometimes it is for the best.  I wish you a happy new year! Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 I sent everyone in my famiy a Christmas card as well has a hand written note in each one, and no one even called us, I knew it was a possibility but when the days came and went, did I expect anything more, I was hoping, I guess I have to stop expecting miracles from people who obviously do not care, but it sure does hurt!  I hope you have a Happy New Year also!Happy New Year.gif

Honored Contributor

Sorry you haven't been feeling well.  I've had my share of being sick over holidays and it stinks!  Hope you're better soon!

We had almost 20 people over for Chirstmas and was on my feet most of the time.  In the morning it's just my immediate family ...we open gifts and then they help me prepare for our company who comes over around 3pm.

There was lots of food, conversation, games and football (Eagles played yesterday & two of my guests left early to attend the game).  Everyone left by 10:30 pm and I felt like I was ready to pass out!  I don't know if I can do this again next year.

While it was wonderful to see my family (lots of younger 20 & 30 somethings) I'm looking forward to the day when they can take over!!...hopefully soon!

Trusted Contributor

I spent Christmas with my parents and children, dil and my husband. We are blessed and happy to be well which none of us are taking for granted.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal sorry about the loss of both your special pets this year,how sad for that to happen so close.  They bring so much life and fun to a home. I hope you can find another love to share yours with.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth