Trusted Contributor

Re: How can I be so old and still mess up

Give me an old(er) top loading machine any day. When we purchased this down-sizer ranch it came with an older washer and dryer. In fact the washer I'm using now I owned about 18 years ago. Works great! 

⚓️
Trusted Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

Give me an old(er) top loading machine any day. When we purchased this down-sizer ranch it came with an older washer and dryer. In fact the washer I'm using now I owned about 18 years ago. Works great! 

Exactly, same here.  I had the Whirlpool guy come out and check all my appliances, and he told me any new appliances made today are only made to last for five years at the max.

Honored Contributor

Use detergent pods

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@drizzellla- I’ve never been too old to make a mistake, or too old to find the correction. Bet we’re in the same boat!

Enjoy your vacation!

My front loader is a dream come true, best washer I’ve ever had, and NEVER smells. Good thing, because I HAD to have a front loader since I had to have a stack.

Different stokes for different washers!

I have a stack washer/dryer and my washer is a top load.  Did not want a front load and the GE works very well.

Honored Contributor

I do something stupid nearly every day. Just dug up some bulbs in my flower bed and came in with a cut. Don't have a clue as to how I managed that. You didn't do anything wrong!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am going from a top loader to a front loader washer next week (delivery next week).  I just was not getting a good feel for the new HE top loader washers.

I had a front loader when they first came out. had to get rid of it, my floor i had back then was not strong enough to handle the shimmy and shake. My flooring and subflooring was torn out and replaced with better quaility and newer lumber.

My old washer is a speed queen and just would not rinse out suds from the clothes. I tried every pod,powder,liquid known on market and just got suds galore from a teaspoon to what bottle,box,pod box called for. there were times i had to wash each load twice start to finish to even begin to see a lessening of suds,  After 4 yrs I just gave up. I looked and looked and looked, the front loader was the best to purchase for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Use detergent pods

I did. They were Tide. I am afraid that the plastic surrounding the pod will not dissolve fast enough. So I always rip it open. So at least the powder is already out for the beginning of the wash.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14

I'm almost 78 yrs young and 3 yrs ago I bought a 2012 Honda Civic. Prior to that I had a Honda Accord for 29 yrs. So -- I now get scared when turning on the car because all those colorful lights come on. The buttons on the steering wheel scare me because I have no idea how to use them. I still don't know how to use the radio or set the stations. I don't know how to change the time on the dash - so when I bring my car in to Honda (which is rarely), they change the clock for me. The best part --- when I bought the car, the front seat was very low in the car and I couldn't see out the front window very well. The dash is higher than my previous car - so it blocks my view. When I had to pull into a parking space, I couldn't see the lines -- so I would pull in - get out of my car and re-park. A year ago, I went to the tile store and the female helping me walked me back to my car. I told her that I can't see out the window - so she raised the seat. I had no idea it could be raised. I knew I was feeling anxious every time I drove the car. So much better now.

I typed that I'm almost 74 yrs young --- and next month I'll be 78!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I feel so much better now @kivah.  I have a friend in arms out there in the car world!  Heart

Respected Contributor

I have the front load washer also....going on 15yrs....washing for 5 of us!  Still working well...only had the dryer fixed once and husband replaced the rubber gasket thing at the door of the washer as it go very moldy early on.  I didn't know anything about these washers and the door would be closed and so on BIG MISTAKE!  I leave it wide open at all times...pull out the dispenser tray too!  I use disinfecting wipes and clean it down...even pulling back that rubber gasket and cleaning under it with the wipes.  This has helped BUT it is something you must do every week or black mold can start.  I really don't like it due to this but I know husband won't want to get rid of it as it's still working and I can just keep cleaning it.

I have no idea what brand or type of washer I would try next....I'll have to wait for this one to breakdown and hope husband won't attempt to fix it LOL!