Respected Contributor

Re: How To Overwhelm A System And Increasing Chances Of Mistakes

the system started out over whelmed and did make mistakes......this might have been better titled.......maybe..........how to FURTHER over whelm ...........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Valued Contributor

On 10/30/2014 terrier3 said:
On 10/30/2014 Marp2 said:

THIS is a link to the actual four page State Department memo.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2014/10/28/state-department-memo-on-ebola-policies/

Right. It's really gonna happen.

I don't think so...this news source is less than honest too.

The memo is clearly an opening for discussion. There are circumstances where non-citizens might qualify for evacuation to the U.S. as outlined in the memo but the general thinking when this subject has been brought up is that just anyone could be brought here. That is not the case.

I know most won't take the time to read the entire memo but it is pretty self-explanatory and not at all unreasonable to have a plan and protocols in place in the event they are needed. Much prefer something well thought out in advance than a knee-jerk response in exigent circumstances.

ETA: THIS LINK is to a larger, easier to read entire memo.

Respected Contributor

On 10/30/2014 millieshops said:

But since flu will kill more citizens this winter in the USA than ebola has killed in Africa so far, how is people saying they "don't want" flu shots any safer for the rest of us than potential ebola victims saying they don't want to be isolated until they are symptomatic and can transmit ebola and then only to someone touching them, their waste liquids, and then touchoing themselves where there's an open wound?

I think people who refuse flu shots should be quarantined! Their potential disease IS airborne and I could catch while I'm sitting across the doctor's waiting room. Ebola can't do that!

I agree with you.

But there are lots of people that don't believe that the flu kills people. They are deniers of even this simple fact.

Are you kidding? The only reason the flu kills more people than Ebola is because vastly more people get the flu. Ebola is a very dangerous disease that so far has claimed over half of those who've got it. That's not the case with the flu! If more than a small number get Ebola, where will they get the serum from those who've recovered from the disease or the staff and resources to treat them? Sadly, we might well not see the good track record of recovery in the USA continue.

Anyone with the tiniest bit of common sense understands that it is important for the public health and saving lives that we prevent outbreaks here.

Super Contributor

I brought this up recently when a friend and I were discussing the Ebola issue. With flu season amongst us people are going to start thinking that they have Ebola and clog up the emergency room. I hadn't really thought about how the ER has the special protocols in place now,,while running tests to check Ebola, and how that would really impact space and resources. Wow, that is scary.
Respected Contributor

On 10/30/2014 Ms X said:
On 10/30/2014 millieshops said:

But since flu will kill more citizens this winter in the USA than ebola has killed in Africa so far, how is people saying they "don't want" flu shots any safer for the rest of us than potential ebola victims saying they don't want to be isolated until they are symptomatic and can transmit ebola and then only to someone touching them, their waste liquids, and then touchoing themselves where there's an open wound?

I think people who refuse flu shots should be quarantined! Their potential disease IS airborne and I could catch while I'm sitting across the doctor's waiting room. Ebola can't do that!

I agree with you.

But there are lots of people that don't believe that the flu kills people. They are deniers of even this simple fact.

Are you kidding? The only reason the flu kills more people than Ebola is because vastly more people get the flu. Ebola is a very dangerous disease that so far has claimed over half of those who've got it.That's not the case with the flu! If more than a small number get Ebola, where will they get the serum from those who've recovered from the disease or the staff and resources to treat them? Sadly, we might well not see the good track record of recovery in the USA continue.

Anyone with the tiniest bit of common sense understands that it is important for the public health and saving lives that we prevent outbreaks here.

OH MY WORD...........common sense......no no no, that will never do.......and a dash of logic....................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Super Contributor

On 10/30/2014 Lynnj said: I brought this up recently when a friend and I were discussing the Ebola issue. With flu season amongst us people are going to start thinking that they have Ebola and clog up the emergency room. I hadn't really thought about how the ER has the special protocols in place now,,while running tests to check Ebola, and how that would really impact space and resources. Wow, that is scary.

So people who have never been to West Africa or never had contact with an ebola patient will think they have ebola? I hope people will be smarter than that.

I'm assuming the ER nurses will ask questions to weed out the flu cases.

Honored Contributor

I work out in a gym...I have no idea where people have travelled ...if I had syptoms that were similar to ebola I would want to be tested because early intervention seems to have the best outcome...also would not want tp put others at risk if I was infected.
Honored Contributor

When I was out shopping for groceries I saw people coughing and sneezing and one or two that looked quite ill...please stay home when you are sick.
Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 GrettaGarbled said:
On 10/30/2014 Lynnj said: I brought this up recently when a friend and I were discussing the Ebola issue. With flu season amongst us people are going to start thinking that they have Ebola and clog up the emergency room. I hadn't really thought about how the ER has the special protocols in place now,,while running tests to check Ebola, and how that would really impact space and resources. Wow, that is scary.

So people who have never been to West Africa or never had contact with an ebola patient will think they have ebola? I hope people will be smarter than that.

I'm assuming the ER nurses will ask questions to weed out the flu cases.

I absolutely think some people would.

Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 dex said: When I was out shopping for groceries I saw people coughing and sneezing and one or two that looked quite ill...please stay home when you are sick.

I see this all the time, too. People don't even cover their mouths, anymore. I've become quite adept at dodging sneeze clouds.