Regular Contributor

Re: How To Overwhelm A System And Increasing Chances Of Mistakes

On 10/30/2014 dex said: But what if somehow you had been in contact with an ebola contaminated surface but were unaware...then you start with the symptoms and assume it is the flu and later when you are so sick that you must be taken to the hospital you cpuld potentially infect many people and workers Before you get a diagnosis.
Did you lick the surface? It is highly unlikely anyone who has not handeled body fluids from an Ebola infected person will contact it. Look at Mr. Duncan's family, no one had symptoms not even his fiancée. Fear Mongering is not attractive.
Honored Contributor

Did anyone of you lick a surface befor you got the flu...come on ya know that is a crazy response
Respected Contributor

On 10/30/2014 Lynnj said: I brought this up recently when a friend and I were discussing the Ebola issue. With flu season amongst us people are going to start thinking that they have Ebola and clog up the emergency room. I hadn't really thought about how the ER has the special protocols in place now,,while running tests to check Ebola, and how that would really impact space and resources. Wow, that is scary.

Hi Lynnj, I really don't expect a big stampede to the emergency room once flu season hits. UNLESS of course there are some secondary etc. infections having to do with people whose names we all recognize.

This is why tracking is so important. Anyone in the emergency room will be asked if they've had any contact with anyone infected with ebola if that is the patient's fear (ebola).

Emergency rooms are such unpleasant places I really can't see this being a big problem.

Respected Contributor

On 10/31/2014 Dam Yankee said:
On 10/31/2014 dex said: When I was out shopping for groceries I saw people coughing and sneezing and one or two that looked quite ill...please stay home when you are sick.

I see this all the time, too. People don't even cover their mouths, anymore. I've become quite adept at dodging sneeze clouds.

...and why is it whenever I go into a restaurant during flu season there is a guy behind me hawking and hacking and gurgling up goobers??? Why don't these people stay HOME??

GROSS. Makes it hard to enjoy a meal.

Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 scotttie said:
On 10/31/2014 dex said: When I was out shopping for groceries I saw people coughing and sneezing and one or two that looked quite ill...please stay home when you are sick.

I see this all the time, too. People don't even cover their mouths, anymore. I've become quite adept at dodging sneeze clouds.

...and why is it whenever I go into a restaurant during flu season there is a guy behind me hawking and hacking and gurgling up goobers??? Why don't these people stay HOME??

Ain't that the truth? People are so gross.

I have had the flu exactly once in my entire life and that was 10 years ago. I didn't leave the couch for 3 days, so I sure wasn't going anywhere. People need to keep their germy butts at home when they're sick.

Regular Contributor

Lack of basic respect. I'll turn my shopping cart the other way and stay far away from the medication and pharmacy aisles.

Regular Contributor

On 10/31/2014 scotttie said:

Ain't that the truth? People are so gross.

I have had the flu exactly once in my entire life and that was 10 years ago. I didn't leave the couch for 3 days, so I sure wasn't going anywhere. People need to keep their germy butts at home when they're sick.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I could not agree with you more.

Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 ~kaIypso~ said:

Lack of basic respect. I'll turn my shopping cart the other way and stay far away from the medication and pharmacy aisles.

Yep, same here. And I'm no germophobe. Exposure to germs keeps your immune system healthy (at least it does mine), but I have my limits. Walking into someone's spewage of coughing/sneezing is where I draw the line.

Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 ~kaIypso~ said:

Yep, same here. And I'm no germophobe. Exposure to germs keeps your immune system healthy (at least it does mine), but I have my limits. Walking into someone's spewage of coughing/sneezing is where I draw the line.

A little bit of germs to boost your immune system is good. Too much . . . I know some of my nieces and nephews that I swear were on antibiotics for ear infections the first 2-3 years of their lives . . . not so good . . . I don't even like that mine have been taking Bactrim (sp?) from their dermatologist for the past couple of years . . . but I did start them on a healthy immune system in their younger years but don't like the long term prescriptions. I take ONE prescription. My Armour Thyroid. And hope to keep it at only one for many years to come.

Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 Qwackertoo said:

A little bit of germs to boost your immune system is good. Too much . . . I know some of my nieces and nephews that I swear were on antibiotics for ear infections the first 2-3 years of their lives . . . not so good . . . I don't even like that mine have been taking Bactrim (sp?) from their dermatologist for the past couple of years . . . but I did start them on a healthy immune system in their younger years but don't like the long term prescriptions. I take ONE prescription. My Armour Thyroid. And hope to keep it at only one for many years to come.

I hear you. I'm not a pill taker, either. Antibiotics scare me. My Dad passed away from C-Diff after being put on antibiotics, following a surgery. And the nurses didn't even bother to tell my family that C-Diff is contagious. It's a miracle that we didn't all get it. So, yeah... the rest of this forum can just excuse me of not being very trusting of science and the talking heads that try to convince us that everything is under control.