Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Scammers Are Using Familiar Phone Numbers To Steal Information

I get SCAM phone calls with caller ID of my local area codes.  But, I am also getting calls with caller ID from area codes of family members that do not live in my town!!  I never answer calls that I do not recognize name or number, but it is irritating to have so many calls a day.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just remembered about a call that came yesterday. Asked for my daughter by her married last name. Could tell it was a robotic kind of thing by the way the name was pronounced, first name then hesitation and different tone of voice for last name. Anyhow she's been married and living out of this house for over 25 years. Female voice said she was so & so from the fraud department at something blurred, maybe on purpose. Gave a number to call back and something about if she doesn't call back this call will have been considered their legal means of notification or some such thing and they will proceed with blah blah blah.....can't recall exactly. However, I do remember that a year or more ago the same type of call came for her here 2 or 3 times. I wanted to google the call back number the voice gave as well as the number that showed on the caller ID (turned out to be "ANONYMOUS Private Number" on that) and also keep replaying just to see if I could figure out where the voice said she was calling from but was clearing out other calls from my voice mail and accidentally deleted that one as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

I rarely get scam calls.  Once I saw my own phone # on my caller ID.173836.gif

@Mz iMac

Im hiring this critter to screen my calls......

Image result for cats talking on the phone

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 wrote:

Yes, I've been getting those for about 6 months now.  One that I got last week even argued with me!!   I told him it was only 6:15 AM where I live and he had woken me!   I hung up and he called right back and said his time zone clock showed it to be 7:15 in my city.  I told him that even if that was true, it was still waaaay to early to be calling people to tell them they could get a free medical alert bracelet, and I hung up on him AGAIN!!   Ridiculous!

@123SuzyQ123

Let your voicemail or app screen your calls.............

Telemarketing Rules that apply to both voice and fax telemarketing calls: Calling hours are restricted to weekdays (Monday to Friday) between 9:00 am and 9:30 pmand weekends (Saturday and Sunday) between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm. Restrictions hours refer to the time zone of the customer receiving the telephone calls.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

I get SCAM phone calls with caller ID of my local area codes.  But, I am also getting calls with caller ID from area codes of family members that do not live in my town!!  I never answer calls that I do not recognize name or number, but it is irritating to have so many calls a day.

@corita

They will even scam hospital numbers and doctor numbers so you think there is a medical emergency involving someone you know.........

Esteemed Contributor

I still have one in my phone caller ID list that came on the 9th at 3:01AM for cripes sake! It only rang one ring and a second very short one, woke me up. Weird number. Mods might delete this post but the number was 133891063241 Just like that, no - between any numbers.

Esteemed Contributor

I got rid of my landline to get rid of these calls and now they are on my cell phone. They are now using my area code plus the 3 digit exchange. No message is ever left. I never answer and put the number number on block.

The other day I had 8 calls pretty close together. A few of them just said United States and had a +1 before the area code - I'm guessing they are out of the country.

So annoying that nothing can be done.

Super Contributor

@shaggygirl, your reply resonated with me. The only thing that improved the situation was when I stopped answering my phone. If someone wants me they can leave a message. It's very annoying, though.

Honored Contributor

I got one less then 10 minutes ago!  We just don't answer the phone anymore.  Just go through the messages.  And hit the delete button if don't the number.  Heavy breathing, robo call, etc. 

Respected Contributor

Two things I always wonder about when I read these types of threads.  

It's said that you shouldn't answer your phone because then they know it's a real number.  If I don't answer (and I don't) wouldn't they still know it's a real number anyway when voice mail answers?

Also, I don't understand what someone can do with my saying the word yes.  Why do they need me to say yes.  If someone's running some scam, why not have their partner sitting next to them say yes.  I'm missing something Smiley Frustrated