Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Scammers Are Using Familiar Phone Numbers To Steal Information

THANKS!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I received a phone call from an 800 number that I didn't answer but googled. It was a legitimate number of a bank that was being spoofed. I always check my inbox when I log into my bank and there were no documents waiting to be read.  The caller Id did not come up with the name of the bank and I did not have them in my contact list.  The 800notes said others have also been contacted and it was not the bank though a legitimate number and definitely a scam.  

Honored Contributor

We have all utilities on auto draft as well as our only credit card so we know those calls are fraudulent. It's still unnerving.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

I rarely get scam calls.  Once I saw my own phone # on my caller ID.173836.gif

Once you "answer" a scam call, your phone # is "sold" on the "dark web" as a "live one!"

yes, and "answer" includes answering machine & VM.

Respected Contributor

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.

If they don't leave a voice mail they get blocked.

My life is peaceful.

Don't answer the phone if you don't know who is calling. If it is important they will leave a voice mail. If you think you are being clever by arguing or playing games with them, think again. You've simply given them proof it's a live number and the calls will multiply.

Honored Contributor

Yes every day. I don't answer the call if I don't recognize the number. If people would stop answering their phones to numbers they don't know maybe these scammers would give up?

They even use our home phone number. You cannot call your own number so no way it would show up on caller id. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last winter I had to call the local police because my mother got scammed. Luckily I acted so quickly notifying all the appropriate people that nothing happened to her financially.

The police officer who came to the house said that these scammers even route calls through the police non emergency number, making it appear that the police are calling. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Frequent Contributor

Yup, just got 3 calls in 2 hours, all from my area code and exchange. 

I think the scammers have 2 goals in mind. One, to make you think it's a local caller. Two, even if you have call blocking, you don't want to block your entire exchange and area code because you may actually get a legit local call.

i just don't pick up. The one time I did, I was waiting on a local call. I picked up, and the person said, " can you hear me?" I read about that scam, so I hung up.

I wish my provider had NoMoRobo. Sigh.

Esteemed Contributor

boy I'd love it if my carrier put SCAM on those numbers that come in on my landline, too. I simply no longer answer a number unless I recognize it as someone I know.

I had one a few weeks ago that was computer generated but sounded so human like at first that I almost goofed up and said the word "yes" to a question! That is another part of some scams since some accounts are now voice activated.  So I'm careful to say "correct" or "right" but never "yes" to any questions.

Honored Contributor

I don't have to watch the video.  Sure, I get calls like that on my landline.  Which I don't ever use, the fax machine is connected to it but I see all incoming calls on my tv screen.  I see the numbers and while they look local and might be local calls; it doesn't matter to me.  They aren't friends, family or business I deal with so I don't care who is calling.  I also get a lot of junk calls on my cell now, I don't answer and then I block that number.