Trusted Contributor

Re: How Much To Tip Junk Removers

I used a junk removal service to remove stuff left at my mom's house after I had an estate sale there after her death. I paid around $1,300 ( the stuff filled up a truck & a half) I don't remember tipping the guys that showed up but I did let them go ahead & take anything that they expressed an interest in. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Why do you have to tip them anything? It's their job to remove it and you are paying for it aren't you? That price should include the cost of dumping it as well. It's not as if you're tipping a hair stylist for being talented in designing hair and always making you look good. It's not rocket science either.  Nobody ever tipped me for being a good teacher. I assumed it was my duty to do the best possible to educate my students. There are certainly no huge monetary rewards in that field. Satisfaction in a job well done is the reward when you see students come back to say hi and are productive, successful members of society. As for low paid waiters and waitresses, some go out of their way to give good service beyond expectations; some don't. Those who go beyond deserve a tip; otherwise, you are subsidizing their employers. And by the way, I haul my own junk to the dump or donate things of value that I don't want to Salvation Army.

@RainCityWoman   I have never called anyone to pick up anything for me except AmVets one time when I donated a couch.  Every other time I have taken my donations in myself, although they will come and pick it up if asked.  I have never had anyone haul my junk away before either.  I kept thinking I would clean it out myself, but it has just gotten beyond that.  As I've said repeatedly on this thread I will never let it get like this again.  The inside of my house is in perfect order.

I understand perfectly. Things can get out of hand to the point that one feels overwhelmed. No need to defend yourself. You did what you had to do and that's YOUR prerogative. We all do what is necessary at the time. I have a small SUV, so I do my trips to the dump or to donation spots in increments.  If I had  truck, I would probably want to get rid of things all at once.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Why do you have to tip them anything? It's their job to remove it and you are paying for it aren't you? That price should include the cost of dumping it as well. It's not as if you're tipping a hair stylist for being talented in designing hair and always making you look good. It's not rocket science either.  Nobody ever tipped me for being a good teacher. I assumed it was my duty to do the best possible to educate my students. There are certainly no huge monetary rewards in that field. Satisfaction in a job well done is the reward when you see students come back to say hi and are productive, successful members of society. As for low paid waiters and waitresses, some go out of their way to give good service beyond expectations; some don't. Those who go beyond deserve a tip; otherwise, you are subsidizing their employers. And by the way, I haul my own junk to the dump or donate things of value that I don't want to Salvation Army.

@RainCityWoman

as a teacher, no one ever gave you a gift or a gift card? that could easily be considered "a tip" in a way.

Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman

as a teacher, no one ever gave you a gift or a gift card? that could easily be considered "a tip" in a way.

I already pointed out what a "tip" is to a teacher. It's when a student comes back to visit and he or she is a successful member of society. That's a reward in itself. And of course, letters and notes of appreciation are always important. Or watching a student with very ffew skills develop and grow in skills and understanding...that's a reward.  However, we were talking monetary tips and I gave my own job as a hypothetical example. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My inclination is to tip them something - $10 to $20 each. If there are quite a number of people then each has less work so I would go with $10 to $15 each ....but if there are only two or three, then maybe $20 would be better. 

Have never had this type of work done, but each time we have moved I have always tipped each worker $20 each - plus of course given them water, etc. Just seems like the right thing to do! In my opinion they deserve it as lifting and moving heavy things is grueling and tough work!

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman

I already pointed out what a "tip" is to a teacher. It's when a student comes back to visit and he or she is a successful member of society. That's a reward in itself. And of course, letters and notes of appreciation are always important. Or watching a student with very ffew skills develop and grow in skills and understanding...that's a reward.  However, we were talking monetary tips and I gave my own job as a hypothetical example. 

many teachers receive gift cards and they are very well deserved......i do consider that  " a tip," but if you dont that is fine.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Two guys came this morning and did a great job.  They swept the garage when they were finished and put everything that I was keeping in a neat order on one side of the garage.  I'm so happy that it's done!  They were here an hour and 15 minutes and charged me $435.  I gave them each $10.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman   I have never called anyone to pick up anything for me except AmVets one time when I donated a couch.  Every other time I have taken my donations in myself, although they will come and pick it up if asked.  I have never had anyone haul my junk away before either.  I kept thinking I would clean it out myself, but it has just gotten beyond that.  As I've said repeatedly on this thread I will never let it get like this again.  The inside of my house is in perfect order.

I understand perfectly. Things can get out of hand to the point that one feels overwhelmed. No need to defend yourself. You did what you had to do and that's YOUR prerogative. We all do what is necessary at the time. I have a small SUV, so I do my trips to the dump or to donation spots in increments.  If I had  truck, I would probably want to get rid of things all at once.

@RainCityWoman I take out anything I can handle myself...donations, trash, junk...myself.  A dead lawn mower, exercise equipment I no longer need, big branches and small trees that have fallen or I have cut down...that kind of thing I need help with.  They're two-person jobs.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman

many teachers receive gift cards and they are very well deserved......i do consider that  " a tip," but if you dont that is fine.

i worked in a demographic many of whom often couldn't put food on their own tables. I never got gift cards, nor did I expect any. We instituted a breakfast program so that kids didn't come to school on empty stomachs. Our free and reduced lunch program served 40% of the school population. My basic point of this whole conversation is that I don't understand the concept of tipping people for doing the job they are supposed to do. 

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman I take out anything I can handle myself...donations, trash, junk...myself.  A dead lawn mower, exercise equipment I no longer need, big branches and small trees that have fallen or I have cut down...that kind of thing I need help with.  They're two-person jobs.

In the past I've had my neighbor's daughter to help me. She LOVED to go to the dump and hurl things into the abyss. However, she's in college now and lives on the East Coast while I'm in the West. Last time a few weeks ago I took a friend of mine, but amazingly, we didn't have to do a thing. The attendant there took all of it out of the car. Maybe we looked like wimps and he figured we'd be there all day.