Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Recycle Glass Bottles?

I just toss my glass items in the huge recycle container.  I never had anything break.  I usually have a bunch of cardboard and junk mail on the bottom....maybe that helps cushion the fall. 

I also wash and reuse the really nice glass jars if they have screw on lids.

Honored Contributor

Waste Management doesn't allow glass in their recyle anymore, neither does our trash service (not WM).  Where we take our recycling has 3 huge bins, one for clear, one for brown and one for green glass.  From there I don't know where they take all the glass. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

We do it all the time.  Just lay them in the bin carefully.  We have to drive to our local dump to recycle and never break any.  And yes, broken glass is recycleable.  

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

I drop mine in all the time and none of them break.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  Try not to worry about breakage....you have done the best and most important part, recycled items that many irresponsible people throw in the trash or even litter.  The recycling area of your county/state knows how to deal with breakage.  Pat yourself on the back for doing the right thing by recycling!

Honored Contributor

We only recycle cardboard because DH can drop those off next door at work. Our City has made it difficult to recycle. They don't want to deal with it IMO. They bought trucks & gave all the people here tubs to put their recyclable materials in but they could not get it figured out so they stopped doing that & went back to regular trash pickup.

They have a recycle center in town you can leave stuff if you can ever catch them open when they are suppose to be. DH got tired of going to drop stuff off when they were suppose to be open but nobody was there. Cannot leave it if they are not open because they have cameras & will fine you? 

Respected Contributor

Where I live glass is no longer accepted for curbside recycling.   Some communities are working to get drop off locations for the glass where it be taken directly to a glass factory but not all.

Broken glass can cause the whole truckload to be containmintated and unrecyclable.   

Also only 1 and 2 plastic bottles are accepted.  If the top is bigger than bottom then they don't want that either.  China has stopped taking a lot of stuff. Our recycling calendar had a lot of changes this year.

Trusted Contributor

Our trash company does not take glass any longer.  They say that when it breaks, it contaminates the other items.

There is more money in metal and plastic than in glass.

Remember the old advertising that encouraged us to buy glass?

GLASS RECYCLES.

And now, they don't want us to use it or to recycle it.  

But the oceans are full of plastic.  

Brilliant.

Honored Contributor

I wish we would go back to the days of returning glass bottles to the manufacturers and they sterilized  and reused them.

It doesn't make sense to recycle glass back into another glass container.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you @lovescats  and @alarmclock  for the information about broken glass contaminating the entire truckload of recyclables.  I'm going to have to research this a little bit more and then decide if I want to recycle my glass.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau