Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Did I Never Hear About This???

@Porcelain wrote:

When I'm trying to get somewhere I am completely preoccupied by getting into the correct lane and taking the correct turns and exits. It's very granular. I have a terrible sense of direction.

I've never taken the time to sit back and consider the entire interstate system as a directional grid. I don't think there's any shame in that. I also think the whole thing is very interesting now that it's been brought to my attention. So I appreciate it!

It's probable that at some point someone told me about the logic involved and I just didn't retain it.

Well, it's precisely because I have no sense of direction that I've always been fond of maps.  I've always needed a map to get anywhere. 

Even once GPS came onto the scene, I still wanted to look at a map and figure out my route, rather than listen to a voice telling me to turn here and turn there.  I need that visual in my head of where I am, where I want to end up, and everything in between. 

Can't express how happy I am that cell phones come with a map ap.  The first time I used the map on my phone I was like "Where have you been all of my life?!"

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

If you got long winded telling my old boss something you got, "don't tell me how to built the clock, just tell me what time it is."

If you have a map, GPS or AAA planned your route for you does it matter if you know they are in numerical order.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I guess the OP has never driven cross country!!

@kaydee50   You would be correct about that.  I have never driven further west than Ohio.

My travels have been to all the states from Maine to Florida.  I guess I will always be an east coaster.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Venezia   Yes - N/S are odd numbers and E/W are even numbers for Interstate routes. 

I'm glad you mentioned the US/State routes because they follow the same pattern, although they may not end in a 5 or a 0.  Just have to know odd vs. even.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

If you got long winded telling my old boss something you got, "don't tell me how to built the clock, just tell me what time it is."

If you have a map, GPS or AAA planned your route for you does it matter if you know they are in numerical order.

LOL.  How many stories have we heard of people being stranded because they followed GPS to the letter?

Even recently DH and I were traveling in-state and we got to a junction that, according to Google Maps, was straight through.  I was driving and told DH it didn't make sense, that we needed to go right.  But he insisted.

So ahead we went for a few miles.  Turned right for a few miles, turned right again back for miles, forming a huge rectangular.

To get back to the same d**m road we would've been on had I turned right at that junction, just further along.

And now having to cross traffic to turn left, having driven miles out of our way.

I tossed the directions!

Trusted Contributor

@Mersha   Don't feel bad about not knowing the order of the interstates.  I never knew that either. I am terrible at map reading.  Even with my GPS in my car, I still get lost sometimes!  LOL  go figure!  

Honored Contributor

I love maps and can study them for hours.  It never dawned on me.  I wonder what else I am missing?