Highlighted
Honored Contributor

How Dads Have Changed Though the Years

In honor of Father's Day, check out this interesting article about how fathers have changed through each decade since the 1950s:

http://usat.ly/1XZfBjq

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Re: How Dads Have Changed Though the Years

@handygal2  Thank you for sharing this walk down memory lane!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

TV dads have indeed changed through the decades.

And real life dads have as well. Just not 'exactly' like those on TV.

I know dad's today (generally speaking) are much more hands on, much more involved in their kids daily lives, and oftentimes less 'parental' than the dads of the olden days. 

I personally think dads today have it harder, as more is expected of them than in the past. They used to be about earning the living and setting the values for the family. Most of the hands on, day to day work of raising kids was left up to mom's. Not so much for most families today. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

TV dads have indeed changed through the decades.

And real life dads have as well. Just not 'exactly' like those on TV.

I know dad's today (generally speaking) are much more hands on, much more involved in their kids daily lives, and oftentimes less 'parental' than the dads of the olden days. 

I personally think dads today have it harder, as more is expected of them than in the past. They used to be about earning the living and setting the values for the family. Most of the hands on, day to day work of raising kids was left up to mom's. Not so much for most families today. 

@Mominohio  Very well said!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!