Respected Contributor

How Can I Avoid 'Pointy" Shoulders

[ Edited ]

Had to drag out the iron (can't remember the last time I used it - couldn't find it for a while).  A few blouses had those 'pointy' shoulders caused by hanging.  I only use the hangers Joy M. sells which are designed to avoid this.

So after pressing each of these items, I placed a washcloth at the end of each hanger to create a buffer between the cloth and the hanger.   

Is there anyway to avoid this?  Cannot remember ever having this problem until now.  Your recs/tips appreciated.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Can I Avoid 'Pointy" Shoulders

[ Edited ]

I normally use the hangers with satin padded shoulders for delicates or fold instead of hang.  Those hangers are harder and harder to find.  LM

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the type of hanger that you do, as well as some super padded ones,  and still get pointy shoulders occasionally.  I usually wet a wash cloth with hot water, wring out well, and place it on the shoulders one at a time while wearing the garment. It settles down the points, and dries quickly.

Honored Contributor

This is my major pet peeve.  I have yet to find a hanger that prevented the hanger humps.  I lay the top on my bed, smooth out the shoulder areas and mist with wrinkle reducer, smooth out with my hand and by the time I have showered and am ready to get dressed they have disappeared.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I only use the clear plastic ones free for the asking or free with in-store purchase and large white tubular plastic hangers. No wire or thin hangers in my house.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pommom

I use the same hangers and do not have that problem.  I hang some t-shirts up to dry and also wear a lot of cotton shirts that I hang to dry (but I do iron). 

Trusted Contributor

Don't know about any of you but I have found clothing items hanging in department stores with the pointy shoulder bumps!  That really annoys me!!Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

To avoid the pointy shoulders in a shirt or blouse, I will bunch up the fabric a bit of the blouse shoulder seam (a little bit of fabric for size small blouses) and make sure the sleeve seam of the blouse meets the side or edge of the hanger. (Joys hangers)

In other words, pull the neck part of the blouse higher up, but meet the sleeve seam with the shoulder droop of the hanger.

Does this make sense?

Honored Contributor

No matter what hangers you use , if you hang sweaters or other knits you are going to get pointy shoulder. They should be stored folded.

Honored Contributor

not all hangers work as well as others either; I found Joy M's much lighter weight and not as good at avoiding the shoulder marks as the ones I bought at Costco; they are heavier, better made, and have had no shoulder issues since using them; I use Joy's hangers for things where the marks won't be an issue