Respected Contributor

If anyone is interested  the HGTV show Houses with History season 2 starts tonight at 9:00 with Jenn, Mike and Rich restoring New England homes some from the 17th century. Not only do they restore the homes they give a history lesson on the houses. It's a good show if you are tired of the fake home renovation shows and if you love  the  New England towns and countryside.  

Honored Contributor

I think I've seen short bursts of the first season, @50Mickey ,  and you are so right--  fascinating houses and the renovators have such respect for the history!  The older the better.  Thanks for alert!

Trusted Contributor
I love this show. I’m from New England so I’m very familiar with the area that is being filmed. Sometimes I think the before houses look better than the afters only because I don’t care for her decorations once the houses are finished.
To get a really good idea of how homes in the time frame looked go to Sturbridge Village in person or online.
Thanks for posting @50Mickey
Honored Contributor

@50Mickey  Thanks for the info.  I will be sure to record this. Haven't heard of it because for a long time I've avoid these fake shows and that includes the Property Bros. who, last time I watched, seem to think gray is a wonderful decor color. For everything.

Trusted Contributor

@50Mickey Thank you!!!!! I love this show and was so excited when I read that it was picked up again. Love the history lesson and the care that they show when doing the renovation.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

I've watched this show and I really enjoy it. And the people are great--kind of corny--those 2 guys are--but they make me chuckle--and very interesting about the history---

Respected Contributor

Re: Houses with History

[ Edited ]

I've only seen it once and thoroughly enjoyed it, that trio really emerse themselves in the history of each particular house. 

I even learned a neat techique of dyeing fabric furniture, Jenn did an antique couch and matching chair but an ottoman might be a fun place to start. You use a plant based dye that is a paste like texture, rub it in til all is covered, let dry well then lightly sand the piece then finally clear seal it. I want to try it. 

I look forward to their new season, thanks.  Smiley Happy 

Valued Contributor

Thank you, @50Mickey .  I'm going to search for this show.  I've kind of given up watching HGTV.  I just don't like their programming, but this looks really fascinating.  I live in CT and there are many historic homes around.  Many of them in disrepair where they look like they could use a little love.  This is so interesting to me.