Respected Contributor

Horrible Belk Customer Service

I recently ordered a 24" London Fog suitcase online from Belk.

Belk sent me a dirty, used, snagged suitcase in the wrong 28" size. I took pictures & called customer service immediately. They had even left a return slip on it from the last customer who had returned it because they "Changed Their Mind."

It was too close to my move date to the east coast to reorder or send it back, so I sent it UPS for $65 to my new place so it wouldn't get lost in my move. As I was opening boxes, I called Belk's customer service back.

The original CS woman said they'd send a UPS call tag for it, but the new woman said I should print a prepaid FedEx shipping label and drive the huge suitcase box to a Fed Ex location. I told her I didn't have a printer, I just got my car delivered & haven't yet driven in this part of the country, I have no idea where there's a FedEx location here, and I'm not paying Uber $40 to drive me to a FedEx & back.

I then emailed Belk's CS with the situation. The CS person told me in an email to "borrow a printer from a relative," etc. I thought she was joking by emailing me to do that.

I'm appalled at their having sent me garbage to start with and then their low level CS. One poor Belk judgement compounded by another.

I will never ever purchase from Belk again.

End of rant.

Honored Contributor

Re: Horrible Belk Customer Service

@Desert Lily    Have you called FedEx to see if they'll pick up your box?

Pretty soon you'll be settled and all this moving trauma will just be a distant memory.  I hope you've charted a course to the nearest hardware store.  That where I visited the most after I moved.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily 

I would have immediately contacted my credit card company and put a dispute on the charge!!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Desert Lily 

I would have immediately contacted my credit card company and put a dispute on the charge!!

I think this is a good idea!  You can say that the item received is "not as described" and let your cc company know how difficult it has been trying to work with Belk!

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily  That is horrible customer care and completely unacceptable. Full disclosure, I really didn't know they were still open - just not in my local area. I sincerely hope you can recover your losses and get situated and enjoy your new digs!

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily   When I have a problem with a customer service rep. I ask very nicely if I could speak with the supervisor. Usually if you can get a manager or supervisor on the line and explain the situation they will take care of it without asking you to borrow a printer and drive a huge package to FedEx. Belk can mail you a label and then you can arrange for FedEx to pick it up. I had that happen when Wayfair sent me a table instead of a lamp. 

Honestly I order from Belk occasionally and I have never had poor customer service. I wouldn't condemn an entire store because of one incompetent customer service rep. 

Just asking out of curiosity did you not live close enough to the Belk store to return it in person before your move? I don't mean to be critical just curious. If i have to return something to Belk I just drive it to the mall.  I hope you get this straightened out soon as I know it can be very frustrating.

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey  I lived on the West Coast and just moved to the East Coast. There were no Belk stores near me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand you just moved, but you have your car. Can't you just Google Fed Ex and find a location near you?  Either put the address in your phone and go or write down the directions. Do you plan to drive at all in your new location?  I guess I'm a little confused.  A suitcase isn't that big, even in a box.  I can't imagine paying $65 to ship it to your new house, but whatever.  

I ordered a large rug from Ruggable and didn't like it.  I do have a printer so I could print the return label.  I literally dragged the box to my car and hefted it in and when I got to Fed Ex, they came out and got it for me.  I know you want to get this suitcase returned and they haven't provided great service to you, but you're going to need to participate somewhat in this return to get it done. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily   I see. Still say call them back and tell them that you need for them to mail you a FedEx label. That rep. was just taking the easy way out. I would take pictures and send them attached to an email to let them know the condition of the luggage. 

Respected Contributor

Hi @gidgetgh  I have participated in the Belk problem of sending me garbage. I have called twice, emailed, taken pictures, shipped the suitcase across the country, and unpacked and repacked the dirty used suitcase (gross). It was Belk's error to send me a previously used suitcase and the incorrect size. I'm done jumping through hoops due to their errors. Belk needs to step up, acknowledge their mistakes, and have the suitcase picked up.

Lesson learned: I will never purchase from Belk again.