Honored Contributor

This just happened to me with my nephews wedding. They asked for cash for their honeymoon instead of gifts. At first I was a little taken aback,  but then thinking about it--why the heck not? That way I don't have to figure out what to get them. And really, any amount of cash would be appreciated. As it turned out, the bride didn't have any bridal showers and I had  bought a rather pricey set of crystal glasses, so that's what I gave them instead of the cash. People have to get with the program in this day and age. All things are changing and no use getting so upset over it. My new niece and nephew are hard working adults with everything anyway so if they want a memorable honeymoon instead of stuff--then by all means.

Honored Contributor

I have no opinion either way. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@cookie16 wrote:

I am not a fan of a registry nor honeymoon contribution or whatever newest grab is going around.  If invited, I will buy you a gift or give you a money gift and if that doesn't appeal to you then you will get my regrets and not attend.  I am so over this me me me attitude.  It used to be that guests were invited to help celebrate the special day with the couple and, of course, give a gift but that gift is of my choice.  These registries are also happening for kids birthday parties.  I say - Ridiculous

I rather get someone something they want and will use so I like it when people register for gifts. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

It's the same as a gift registry, which seems socially acceptable to most.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

The first time I saw the honeymoon registry was when a family member used it for her European honeymoon. Shocked when I saw how many people gifted them from this registry. Still on the fence  on this; leaning toward tacky. BTW: we never hear from this family unless they are soliciting gifts. Never even sent us a card for college graduations, etc. Now mother is hosting a baby shower. I still think that is tacky. 

I have chosen my gift accordingly. Thanks for reading my vent.

Valued Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

Most people (I think) give cash as a wedding gift.  Just use it for your honeymoon if you want.  Laughing at the "in lieu of gifts".  They mean in lieu of a toaster.

That was hilarious!  True, but hilarious nontheless.

Super Contributor

When we received this request, it was included in the reception invitation, since the bride and groom were having a destination wedding and only immediate family were invited; on a little card, with a website on it. It was very much like a shower registry, with their names, what they were asking for, and the prices, a way to order and how to pay. My opinion is that the happy couple should go on a honeymoon that they can afford. There are plenty of wonderful places to see in the USA that don't cost a fortune. Unfortunately, etiquette is being lost nowadays, and it's a shame. It definitely should come back into vogue. I don't have a problem with registries for bridal/baby showers, because that's the purpose of a shower, and I have used that registry for purchasing wedding gifts. I do have a problem being invited to parties/weddings/showers, just to increase the guest numbers and for the gifts/money, when we haven't seen these people for eons, and they wouldn't know us if they passed us on the street.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

As someone who has often been at a loss when it comes to wedding gifts, I embrace it.

No one wants to get 5 toasters, and most of us don't want to buy random gifts like this.  

@september hi!  I've never ever heard of anyone giving a toaster as a wedding gift. It may be done outside of where I live, but here in NY, I've only seen envelopes being given to the bride and groom at all the weddings I've attended. We attended a wedding in Maryland, where the table was filled with gift boxes, and the birdcage for envelopes was pretty empty.

To my mind, showers and engagment parties are for appliances, glassware, and gifts of that nature, but not weddings.

And as far as giving to a fund, I've never come across this yet. I'd have to play it by ear and decide at that time.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

We always give monetary wedding gifts.  What the couple decides to do with the money is none of my concern.

I would not contribute (directly)  to a honeymoon fund.

Didn't a QVC host have a similar funding page for her Tahitian honeymoon?

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

We always give monetary wedding gifts.  What the couple decides to do with the money is none of my concern.

I would not contribute (directly)  to a honeymoon fund.

Didn't a QVC host have a similar funding page for her Tahitian honeymoon?

yes, it was courtney cason......her honeymoon registry is actually still available for viewing......it was a tahitian honeymoon.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein