Esteemed Contributor

Homemade Non-Toxic Ice and Snow Melt

I use this every year, including today, and it does work.

For icy steps and sidewalks in freezing temperatures, mix 1 teaspoon of Dawn dish washing liquid, 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol, and 1/2 gallon hot/warm water and pour over walkways. They won’t refreeze. No more salt eating at the concrete in your sidewalks. Salt is also dangerous for pet paws.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Homemade Non-Toxic Ice and Snow Melt

Thank you for this tip. Last year we had a lot of ice, and all of the local stores were sold out.  I would much prefer a safe alternative that is readily available.🌻

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Thank you for this.  I guess Dawn liquid won't be harmful to plants if it runs off the sidewalk into the garden?

Honored Contributor

Why would you go through the bother of making it when you can buy it????  As for salt....I don't think anyone has used salt in years. 

Honored Contributor

I use half & half alcohol & water or windshield washer liquid.

No Dawn.

Trusted Contributor

While I am sure the OP has good intentions, the fact is this does not work.  There are numerous websites and Youtube videos which have tested this and show that this, in no way, works.

While warm water will melt ice, and alcohol reduces the freezing point of water, there is not enough in this mixture to do anything.

Anyone trying this will end up with nothing but a sheet of sudsy ice and probably end up falling, 

If you want to melt ice, buy ice melt.  Use salt if you have to.  Do not, under any circumstances, try this.  It is a recipe for disaster.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr, I have not found this mixture harmful to my plants.  When I did large bird rescue, we used blue Dawn on the birds that were covered in oil.  I think the blue Dawn is considered very safe.

I no longer measure--I just estimate--but I have used this basic formula for years and it works well for me. 

Since I have pets and also feed the strays in the neighborhood, I want to use something that is safe, easy, and inexpensive.  While I can buy snow melt, I cannot think of any reason why I should spend the money when I have all of the ingredients in my pantry.

To each his own.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Safe Paw Non-Toxic Ice Melter:

This non-toxic ice melt is guaranteed safe for pets. Concentrated pellets cover twice the area of rock salt and will not irritate pets paws or skin, and work in temperatures as low as -2 degree Fahrenheit. Timed-Release formulation helps prevent re-icing for up to three days. Guaranteed non-toxic. Safe for animals, children, vegetation, and concrete brick and stone

Ingredients

Modified Amide/Glycol Admixture Safe Paw has been used and recommended with confidence for years by veterinarians, animal hospitals, groomers, shelters, and humane societies making it the #1 selling brand

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl@Marp@KYToby@software@chrystaltree

This product seems to be very good.

Image result for mushers paw wax