Trusted Contributor

Re: Holiday Weekend 🌧🌧

@Kachina624   Got ya beat....our humidity is a sweltering 7%.  We need moisture...our part of Colorado is very dry... DW

539DEF53-C8B4-4DC0-A76F-4FBBDB02FEA0.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  I had never heard of a swamp cooler.  I had to google it.  What state do you live in?  How cool can it make your house?  Very curious about this.  Woman Wink

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Oh no, that's just terrible, hopefully the rest of our state can recover.

Honored Contributor

@spent2much   I live near Albuquerque, NM.  Swamp coolers can only be used in very dry climates because they cool by evaporation.  Water is squirted by a revolving wheel on pads made of Aspen wood fiber and a fan blows the cooled air through wet pads to vents in the house.  The only expense is water and electricity to run the small fan. 

With my unit I cannot set the temperature, alough the fan has a high and low.  I am always comfortable with inside temp on a hot day being about 70° and overnight, set on low, it gets almost too cold, 60-65°.  It's less efficient during rainy weather when the humidity is higher but I'm still comfortable. 

I do have to have a plumbing service person or handiman come out in Spring and Autumn and turn the unit and the water on or off.  It looks like any AC unit and is mounted on my roof.  I don't do ladders.   Many husbands can do the service. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Thank you for the explanation.  Very interesting (and MUCH less expensive than air conditioning)!  Woman Very Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

I'm wondering if you're in the NE area?

After we've experienced a shortage of rain fall, we're fortunate & grateful for an abundance of it this week.  :womanhappy:But I gotta tell ya, I'm wondering what the heck our current season it is .. seems more like Fall or very early Spring.  We had a huge thunderstorm on Thursday (not in the forecast), then both all yesterday, the evening & all day today .. steady rain.  Also, we've had very blustery winds for both days & temps have been in low 40s. Tomorrow, we expect, once again, rain all day & Mon. is "iffy" & the family picnic may end up indoors.  Not sure when the normal spring temps will return.

Special Note:  Dear God, even though we've been experiencing a "backwards" trend in seasons this week, you've answered our prayers for rain.  Thank you so much.   HeartHeart

Honored Contributor

Here in the Mid-Atlantic it is DRY! DRY! DRY!

A few drops of rain just started to fall, hope it lasts thru Monday.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Southern WV is cool and damp; a high of 55 today, and more rain expected tomorrow.   May 2021 rainfall totals are 3" below rainfall totals for May 2020.   

Respected Contributor

@Grand Happy 

Wow that's hot!  Where is that?