Honored Contributor

I've always wondered why there are no follow up shows to these type programs.

I would think the people most likely revert to the old hoarding behavior, and that probably doesn't make for profitable television, but I'd love to see them follow up on these shows. I think it would be interesting to see if follow up and counseling helped any of them stay on track.

Trusted Contributor

I saw a follow up show one time and some of the people did go "back" but not to the original level, and some people kept it up. 

I noticed at least in my opinion, many of the hoaders have had a tragic event trigger the behavior which is sad.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

I think a lady in our scripture class could be a hoarder. I say think ,because her car is packed full of junk, The only clear spot is where she sets to drive

She looks neat and clean, but after seeing her car ,I wonder about her house

Respected Contributor

I know a woman who is a hoarder.  Her car is packed as well as her house. Nothing tragic happened in her life, but she did have a slightly unconventional childhood. Nothing crazy though. Her husband has tried cleaning up/throwing away but she always fills it back up. She's 60 and really, she's not going to change. She also has at least 2 storage units full of junk. What a colossal waste of cash 

Trusted Contributor

I was watching time where this man had 12 storage units full. They had to rent a wear house to put it in to sell it. Can you a manage how much it cost every month for those.

Honored Contributor

I've seen some follow ups and I'd say the majority of them never got past the show in terms of changing. There were some really successful ones though, even a year after the show but for the most part, not many of them changed. It seemed those that were successful kept up with the counseling whereas the others dropped out of counseling or never went at all.

I haven't watched the show in a long time though. It is just very frustrating to watch, especially when children and pets are involved and at risk (and in the case of pets, often die within the hoard).

Respected Contributor

I believe these people have a mental or emotional disorder and showing this for TV viewing is beyond sad. I watched a few out of curiosity and couldn't handle it. By the time they get to this level of dysfunction a social worker sent in by a TV show is just triage. These people need long-term help. I too know a hoarder, a woman I worked with and it extended into her office cubical, and then she got into trying to round up feral cats. She was full of severe scratches and bites and spread disease to several co-workers. Management attempted to help her without effect. Made me realize how complex this disorder can be.

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I believe these people have a mental or emotional disorder and showing this for TV viewing is beyond sad. I watched a few out of curiosity and couldn't handle it. By the time they get to this level of dysfunction a social worker sent in by a TV show is just triage. These people need long-term help. I too know a hoarder, a woman I worked with and it extended into her office cubical, and then she got into trying to round up feral cats. She was full of severe scratches and bites and spread disease to several co-workers. Management attempted to help her without effect. Made me realize how complex this disorder can be.

@SunValley ITA.  I have never watched this show, I think it is cruel. 

Honored Contributor

My uncle's new wife is a hoarder. They are both in their 2nd marriages, and had been living together for 8 years before marriage. His wife is very clean with her own appearance and dresses really nice, always has her makeup on and looks so good you would never know it. The big thing in her life was she gained a ton of weight after her 1st divorce, and she also lost her job, shortly thereafter she started hoarding and not cleaning her house. She doesn't have filth, but she has junk(books, magazines, clothers, shoes, too many gadgets and boxes and boxes of Home Interior decor, she used to sell it years ago, and most of it hasn't even been opened). It really is too bad, because she has great taste and could probably have a really nice looking home, but now she is very tiny(lap band surgery) and she never did go back to work, she babysits her grandchildren 3 days a week-of course in their home, because she tried in her own home, but there was no room for them to even play..She admits to being a hoarder and wants to change, but doesn't know where to begin. She needs a professional! I can't understand why my uncle didn't address this prior to marriage, but some people don't mind that type of thing. For most, I truly believe they don't want to be that way, but they are in so deep, only a professional can help them...It really is very sad!  

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I've seen some follow ups and I'd say the majority of them never got past the show in terms of changing. There were some really successful ones though, even a year after the show but for the most part, not many of them changed. It seemed those that were successful kept up with the counseling whereas the others dropped out of counseling or never went at all.

I haven't watched the show in a long time though. It is just very frustrating to watch, especially when children and pets are involved and at risk (and in the case of pets, often die within the hoard).

I never saw and follow ups, glad to know they do exist. Would love to see them!