Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I like that these shows are on, because it highlights a problem and tells you the story of a person who is dealing with it.  I think that helps the public get a better understanding of hoarding.  TLC or A&E get their ratings, the public gets awareness and the person who has been hoarding gets help clearing out their hoard, as well as counseling.  I don't think it's just exploitative, because it benefits the hoarder as well as educating the public.

I tend to keep too many things, and I'm not the best housekeeper.  Watching these shows makes me want to clean and get rid of things, and that is a HUGE help to me.  I have hulu, so I can watch an episode when I want to. 

Thanks, to @Mominohio for starting this thread, because I forgot about how much that helps me, and I could use the help getting motivated!!

@mistriTsquirrel

Your first paragraph totally expresses what I've been trying (not so well!) to say. Thank you for summing it up perfectly.

I love to keep house and decorate, but I too, accumulate way too many things, and an episode of this type show gets me motivated to scale back things I don't need any longer. I can't imagine being in the place these people the show presents are in, and don't even fear that for myself, but something has snapped in many of them, and no one should think themselves immune.

Without shows like this, those featured would most likely have never received any kind of help, and regardless of their long term success, they at least got an opportunity for help that they otherwise wouldn't have had.