Honored Contributor

Re: Hoarder show on TLC ...watching....ugh!

On 11/3/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/3/2014 MomOf4 said:

Have you ever noticed how many boxes from QVC are throughout some of the hoarder's homes?

And for some reason you think that is QVCs fault?

Nope, but just since this IS a QVC forum, we take special notice.

Esteemed Contributor

I can understand collecting. I can understand storing a lot of things you want to keep. What I cannot understand, is when these hoarders live in downright FILTH and NASTINESS. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Regular Contributor

On 11/3/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 11/3/2014 littleblueparakeet2 said:

gazelle77: was the episode you saw the one with the black widow spiders and 200+ syringes that were strewn throughout the house? I think the homeowner's name was Sherry and she blamed her 2 kids for not taking out the trash.

Yes. SO many roaches! And the fridge filled with food, not working for years....the stench. OMG!

Not to mention the condition of both bathrooms! Gross. {#emotions_dlg.bored}

Regular Contributor

On 11/3/2014 PalmSpringsTransplant said:

My sister is a hoarder and I was both drawn to and repelled by these shows at the same time. She stuffed a 1 BR apartment so much that you needed to be a mountain goat to get around. The shower/bath had become unusable and she took "birdbaths" in the kitchen sink.

Worst part is that I co-owned this with her and became responsible for the mess. $60,000 to clean up. Black mold, mouse skeletons, unimaginable dirt.

She's out and doesn't speak to me anymore. Blames me for her becoming a hoarder.

When I watch the shows, and I'm drawn to them to try to understand, I always get p/o'd by the indulgent treatment given to the hoarders by the shrinks and organizers, etc. Many of these hoarders -and I speak from experience - wrecked major havoc on their families- and are then coddled and allowed to examine every matchbox.

So sorry to hear that. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry, PalmSpringsTransplant.

Saw the episode about the hoarder who had a daughter with a similar problem. The daughter has a rich boyfriend, who finances her habit.

I'd really hate to clean a hoarder's home - Must be heck to dust .

I can't watch the episodes dealing with animal hoarding. They may mean well, but things get out of hand.

Super Contributor

A girl can't collect roaches and rats now?

Some of us can't afford fancy stuff for hoardin'.

Respected Contributor

I especially don't understand the ones with animals. One lady had so many cats she didn't notice a few had died ...under piles of stuff.

There has to be something wrong and hopefully these people take the after care the show provides.

Respected Contributor

I don't watch shows about hoarders. I don't find watching mentally ill people a source of entertainment.

Regular Contributor

On 11/3/2014 nunya said:

I especially don't understand the ones with animals. One lady had so many cats she didn't notice a few had died ...under piles of stuff. {#emotions_dlg.bored}

There has to be something wrong and hopefully these people take the after care the show provides.

Not too long ago, there was an off-shoot show of the shows Hoarders and Hoarding: Buried Alive called "Animal Hoarders." I don't think that particular show lasted very long. I saw a couple of episodes and it was very upsetting.

Honored Contributor

On 11/3/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

I don't watch shows about hoarders. I don't find watching mentally ill people a source of entertainment.

But learning about it intrigues me. Many yrs ago, my favorite barista @ Starbucks said she was going to school to become an addictions counselor specializing in hoarding....I had no earthly idea what she meant. It's a fascinating field of study.