Honored Contributor

History Lovers-- Discussion of John Adams and Thos. Jefferson Now

Right now, 8;00 p.m. Eastern Sunday night. The beloved Brian Lamb on CSPAN 1 is interviewing Gordon Wood on John Adams and Thos. Jefferson's fascinating long friendship which underwent great ups and downs.  Drawing contrast betw. the two men.

Very enlightening about their lives and times!

P.S.  Am posting this in Community Chat since it is more of a history alert than a TV alert.

Regular Contributor

Re: History Lovers-- Discussion of John Adams and Thos. Jefferson Now

I'm sorry I missed that because I would have really enjoy that program.  Didn't they die on the same day?

Honored Contributor

@evergreen, yes they did-- isn't that weird?  And they were so conscious of each other.  I think I read that on his death bed John Adams actually sighed, resignedly, "Jefferson still lives", as though he, Adams, had lost the "competition"!

The discussion was good.  Hopefully they'll run it again some time and you'll catch it.  Gordon Wood's book sounds worth a look.

Regular Contributor

I usually watch CSPAN 2 on the weekend because I enjoy BOOK TV so I never even checked CSPAN 1.  I'll definiteyl be on the lookout for a re-run of the program you mentioned. I enjoy non-fiction and especially biographies so I'll add that book to my list. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

I hope they show this again.  This is the type of show that I love.  I also love to read American history and used to love the programming on the History Channel when they actually had shows about American history.  I will keep my eye out to see if they air this interview again.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James