Honored Contributor

Re: Hike in Senior Pass to National Parks

They need to do something to increase the revenue in the national parks because they're in deplorable condition with little, if any, maintenence being done. 

I was at Yellowstone two years ago.  Having been there before, I had a basis for comparison and it was bad.  I wouldn't even bother going back again.  Our big, popular parks are over-used and under-maintained.  They need to limit the number of people entering the parks each day.  Many of the features have been ruined by dumb people doing stupid things.  I suppose the ranger force is stretched thin. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I don't understand how this could happen. Why is this increase necessary when our economy is doing so well?
Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1:  I live in SW and have been to thirty seven (some, many times).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JillyMarie wrote:
I don't understand how this could happen. Why is this increase necessary when our economy is doing so well?

@JillyMarie  The spoils of the economy obviously aren't going to maintain our parks.  This is our childrens' heritage; it's wrong to let it waste away.

Respected Contributor

If we want nice parks to go to and enjoy we do need to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of them which like anything else is not going to get any cheaper.

I also think a lot of people are just pigs and have no respect for nature and the natural beauty that these places offer. In other words, they should go elsewhere. I find it hard to believe that some people go to these places and litter, walk off trails, and have no concept of posted signs put there for a purpose.

I also think these parks should take reservations only, limiting the visitors on a day to day basis. These parks were not set up for the droves of visitors that come in every year and are forever increasing in numbers. They need to be careful with these precious natural places, or what was once beautiful will no longer be. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@patbz  What are your favorite National Parks?  I like The Arches in Moab, UT. And Bryce, also in UT. Then I like Glacier in Mt. 

Delicate Arch, Arches Natl Park, Ut

Screenshot_20170715-233053.jpg

Bryce Natl Park, Ut. 

Screenshot_20170715-233409.jpg

Glacier Natl Park, Mt. 

Screenshot_20170715-233532.jpg

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

If we want nice parks to go to and enjoy we do need to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of them which like anything else is not going to get any cheaper.

I also think a lot of people are just pigs and have no respect for nature and the natural beauty that these places offer. In other words, they should go elsewhere. I find it hard to believe that some people go to these places and litter, walk off trails, and have no concept of posted signs put there for a purpose.

I also think these parks should take reservations only, limiting the visitors on a day to day basis. These parks were not set up for the droves of visitors that come in every year and are forever increasing in numbers. They need to be careful with these precious natural places, or what was once beautiful will no longer be. 

Well said @CAMOGIRL.   I think I read 2 men this year have wandered off the trails near geysers in Yellowstone and have fallen through the crust to boil to death.  The first one, I know, they said due to the danger, no attempts would be made to retrieve his body.   What a way to go. 

Esteemed Contributor

Love Bryce, Moab, Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Death Valley.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@JillyMarie wrote:

@JillyMarie  The spoils of the economy obviously aren't going to maintain our parks.  This is our childrens' heritage; it's wrong to let it waste away.

If the ecomony is booming and many many people are entering and re-entering the working force then it stands to reason that those people and many other people will be visiting the parks and bringing revenue to the parks system.  Support from the feds and taxes cannot be counted on to maintain the parks.  I agree that the national parks should not be allowed to deteriorate or be raped by petroleum exploration companies.