Honored Contributor

Re: High School Graduation Gift Question

@beach-mom if you can afford to I would send both girls a check. If the families know each other, if word got out in passing you sent one girl a check and not the other, it may make for hard feelings.

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Two girls - one is a neighbor and close friend, and we are good friends with her parents. One is the daughter of friends we like but don't see much. We saw the families more for parties and gatherings when these girls were little. Then we all got busy with different things.  DD babysat them both for years, until she left for college. We see the one girl all of the time and visit with her, asking about school and such. We see the second girl from time to time, but not much. She didn't know DD when she ran into her during the holidays. The girl's mom said, as we all have probably said sometime, "Oh you remember DD." The two girls are best friends - they do everything together and both attended the same private school.

We want to send the one girl a graduation check, but I feel funny sending the second girl just a card, since we did see her a lot when she was little. I'm thinking of sending them both a check in the same amount, just so there are no hurt feelings. 

Would you send the second girl a gift too? TIA!

If it were me, I'd go with your first instinct and send them both a check in the same amount.

Super Contributor

I don't mind giving gifts but what happened to getting a "Thank You" card from the recipent?  I'm amazed at how many of my family members (don't live close by) take the time to send out shower, wedding & graduation announcements but do not take the time to send out Thank You cards......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Texas Gray Wolf    Thank yous are an issue for another thread.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 That's your opinion but Thank you notes go hand-n-hand with gift gifting.

Honored Contributor

@Texas Gray Wolf   Thank yous have nothing to do with gift giving; they are an issue for gift receiving.  If you don't have high expectations, you won't be disappointed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I agree.  Both girls the same amount.  That small amount of money will probably make the girls feel happier than you would by keeping it.  It just isn't worth possibly hurting someone when it all comes down to 10-20 dollars, sleep better and do what you will be proud of later.  These kids have went to school almost all of  their lives and the plans they had for celebrations and even saying their final goodbyes have been shattered.  I really do feel badly for them.