Honored Contributor

High School Graduation Gift Question

Two girls - one is a neighbor and close friend, and we are good friends with her parents. One is the daughter of friends we like but don't see much. We saw the families more for parties and gatherings when these girls were little. Then we all got busy with different things.  DD babysat them both for years, until she left for college. We see the one girl all of the time and visit with her, asking about school and such. We see the second girl from time to time, but not much. She didn't know DD when she ran into her during the holidays. The girl's mom said, as we all have probably said sometime, "Oh you remember DD." The two girls are best friends - they do everything together and both attended the same private school.

We want to send the one girl a graduation check, but I feel funny sending the second girl just a card, since we did see her a lot when she was little. I'm thinking of sending them both a check in the same amount, just so there are no hurt feelings. 

Would you send the second girl a gift too? TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: High School Graduation Gift Question

I'd send the second girl a check or gift card for $20., I'd be more generous with the girl I knew better.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd send the second girl a check or gift card for $20., I'd be more generous with the girl I knew better.

This is what I would do too.

Esteemed Contributor

I also agree with @Kachina624  

Respected Contributor

I would send the second graduate a lesser gift. I would send a check or gift card in the amount you re comfortable with spending.

Esteemed Contributor

We try to keep our gift giving to family members.  Of course we are generous when friends kids get married with the showers and weddings.  But we do draw the line.

Graduation is important but I feel it's more the family's obligation for gifts.  JMO

Honored Contributor

I would let the girl you care more about know that you do but still acknowledge the other's achievement.  I always do a Starbucks gift cards for High School graduates with a note about upcoming "all nighters" at college.  Maybe the check for the first and a gift card for the second, you do have those fond memories of her as a little girl.  This class of graduates needs our recognition more than past years.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

i would do cash/check for the girl you see often.

i would do a gift card or cash/check in a smaller amount for the girl you do not see often.....maybe $25 - $30?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I agree with the others about doing different amounts so I'll address the 'hurt feelings' you alluded to. Hopefully they know that discussing specifics of gifts received (or not) is tacky so hopefully that won't happen. I would also think they're aware that you have different relationships with them so I wouldn't worry about it. 

Respected Contributor

I would not send the second girl any money or a card, to be honest. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York