Respected Contributor

Because of what has happened the last 6 months--will they be different than those before them?

Your ideas?

Honored Contributor

Re: High School Class of 2020

Different how?

Super Contributor

I think these kids will be different the way that we are all different now. None of us are likely to take plans for granted! 

Esteemed Contributor

In my state HS graduations can take place on or after July 6 and have limits of total grads and guests for " social distancing". So yes, very different but still better than what the college grads got in May, which was nothing.

Contributor

My daughter just graduated from high school. Her school had a graduation parade and drive through ceremony, to receive their diplomas.

She has a lot of mixed emotions.  She is disappointed, of course, because of not getting to finish her senior year as she thought she would.  She is, of course, old enough to know things don't always go as we hope.  She is hoping that she will get to start college in the fall.  She applied for and was accepted into the premed program at the college she chose.  Now she's concerned about how it will all it play out.  They're saying maybe online courses this fall,  but she has two labs scheduled.  

I suppose time will tell what happens.  She worked very hard and it's hard to see her miss out on so much, at the same time I'm so thankful she is healthy and safe.

Honored Contributor

I feel sad for them.

They missed their prom, senior trip, senior prank, a real graduation and the all night after graduation party thrown by the school.

I also feel bad for the kids that were supposed to get their drivers licenses during the time everything has been shut down.  Feel even sorrier for the parents that have to put up with the bad mood!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know the answer but I feel extremely sad for them.  Maybe in 5 years to get their views when they have had time to reflect and see how they answer.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If they are different, I'm thinking and hoping that it is in a good and positive way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I think the young adults graduating in 2020 will see things differently but not necessary because of the virus. School shootings, etc. would have a tendency to make them have a different view of things compared to graduating classes that did not have to face those fears. 

Honored Contributor

A rural town near me put a banner over the road congratulating the town's 2020 graduates.  (The town doesn't have its own schools, it's part of another school district.)  At first, I thought it wouldn't mean much to this year's graduates and was rather silly.  Now I think it's a nice touch and lets those kids know, in a small way, they weren't forgotten.