Honored Contributor

Re: Hi gidgetgh - Thinking of you!

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2   Medicare is tough.  Every time my family member has to be taken to the hospital, we either have to pay the couple hundred dollars a night to "save his bed" in the nursing home hoping he'll be well enough to return each time or he's out on the streets.  It amazes me what we put up with in regards to "health" care.   

Still thinking of you @gidgetgh .  I wish I knew where you actually were to come help or give a hug.  I know we're not that far apart.  Heart 

Valued Contributor

So glad you checked in; sorry for not much resolve.  You have lots of friends here who care - hope that gives you a little comfort and you can come read to cheer you up some.  

Take care of you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@Jordan2   Medicare is tough.  Every time my family member has to be taken to the hospital, we either have to pay the couple hundred dollars a night to "save his bed" in the nursing home hoping he'll be well enough to return each time or he's out on the streets.  It amazes me what we put up with in regards to "health" care.   

Still thinking of you @gidgetgh .  I wish I knew where you actually were to come help or give a hug.  I know we're not that far apart.  Heart 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh Big huge virtual hug!  Heart  I typed that previous post and then immediately after went I never should have said I would ever touch you.  That's almost a terroristic threat these days with the virus.  Smiley Very Happy 

I dearly hope you both get back to better days soon.  Heart

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thought I'd give an update.  If you are not interested, please just skip it.

My husband was hospitalized for 8 days.  Couldn't urinate on his own, caused initially by a side effect (we think) to a new medication, which he is no longer on. That is one of the listed side effects.  A catheter was inserted in the ER and we were sent home. He was very confused by it and tried to remove it, literally 5 minutes after we got home. which caused "trauma". We went back to the hospital and he was admitted.

Tests were run.  He may have prostate cancer, maybe not. Apparently all urology stuff is done outpatient, which is insane.  Don't understand that at all. 

Doctors decided he needed to go to rehab to regain his strength. Problem is only 1 rehab center accepted him. It is not one I'm familiar with, but off he went, by ambulance, late Wednesday evening.  Thought I was gonna die sending him off, confused, into the universe.

The plan was for rehab to remove the catheter yesterday and pray for the best.  They did and he couldn't urinate and they couldn't get it back in so they called 911 and called me and I spun the wheel and picked a different hospital and I met him there.  This hospital is VERY strict on the COVID stuff.  It was very weird feeling there.  But it is an excellent hospital. 

The ER did some blood work, reinserted the catheter and took a sample and found a UTI which actually made me happy because he's really "off". So they started him on medication for that, called another ambulance and took him back to rehab late really last night. 

I talked to the Urologist's office today and made an appt for 7/6. They will "try again" and determine a plan of action for testing and treatment for him.

I am seriously thinking about discharging him from rehab early next week.  I just have to make sure that I can handle this catheter with a husband who has mildish dementia. I don't want to do anything to set him back, but every fiber of my being is screaming for me to get him out of there.  I don't want him,  in his confusion, to think I've abandoned him. 

I'm going to think about it this weekend and see if I calm down about it or if my feelings that I need to bring him home become clearer. I'll talk it over with my stepsons and my sister, but the decision is mine. 

I slept some last night and haven't even left the house today. I called to check on him this afternoon and when they told me he was "resting comfortably" I took a migraine pill since I shouldn't have to drive anywhere and it will help calm me down a little.

I really sincerely appreciate the support that people are giving me here. It helps me to talk about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh , I am so sorry this is continuing.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  <hugs>

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh when there is confusion in an elderly patient, you should always ask for urine analysis. This happened to my mom. she was very confused in the rehab, seeing people that weren't there, talking to people that weren't there, this was not my mother. The rehab ran a urine test upon my request, sure enough she had a UTI, she was put on medication and she became much clearer.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@gidgetgh when there is confusion in an elderly patient, you should always ask for urine analysis. This happened to my mom. she was very confused in the rehab, seeing people that weren't there, talking to people that weren't there, this was not my mother. The rehab ran a urine test upon my request, sure enough she had a UTI, she was put on medication and she became much clearer.

@Jordan2 - keep in mind that he also has dementia and then there is the whole sundowners thing. So those muddy the waters a little.  I told the hospital either Tuesday or Wednesday morning that I thought he might have a UTI.  They blew me off and said no. At that point, they were just pointing toward discharge and there was no stopping them. 

Respected Contributor

((((((gidgetgh))))))

Big hugs and continued prayers for you and Mr. gidget.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Valued Contributor

so glad you checked in.  I hope with some rest and talking it over with others who care about him, you have more clarity which way you proceed.  

Maybe this will make you smile for a minute - I'm wearilng Madrass shorts from TAlbots today and a cute T in hot pink - in your honor since I know you like Talbots too.

Please take care!