Esteemed Contributor

Hercule Poirot - - - - SPOILER ALERT

RIP Hercule Poirot.  We've enjoyed many a year of your sheer genius on screen.

From an adoring fan,

~R

Honored Contributor

Re: Hercule Poirot - - - - SPOILER ALERT

If you're talking about the TV series.  Well this happened quite a while ago...  Not exactly a spoiler.  And if you're talking about the books.  Well he was long gone....  But yeah....I miss him too.  I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was in my 20s, I read all of Agatha Christie's mysteries. I also watched just about all of the films based on her books. Without a doubt, I think David Suchet was the best Poirot. He captured the character as Christie portrayed him in her mysteries. I think Christie wrote the book about Poirot's death many years before it came out. It's too bad because he was such an engaging character.

Regular Contributor

We also loved Poirot, especially the shows with Miss Lemon, Japp, and Hastings.  So good, no swearing, no sex.  Guess I sound like an old biddy, but those are the kind of shows I like.  

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

If you're talking about the TV series.  Well this happened quite a while ago...  Not exactly a spoiler.  And if you're talking about the books.  Well he was long gone....  But yeah....I miss him too.  I guess.

I've been following on my local PBS channel and had no idea that this was so behind the times.  They've been billing it as something one must view, as though this is the first broadcast of it.

This is yet another instance of getting burnt via this PBS channel.  Wasn't that way where we lived previously.  Thanks for letting me know.

Esteemed Contributor

One of my favorite PBS series. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

When I was in my 20s, I read all of Agatha Christie's mysteries. I also watched just about all of the films based on her books. Without a doubt, I think David Suchet was the best Poirot. He captured the character as Christie portrayed him in her mysteries. I think Christie wrote the book about Poirot's death many years before it came out. It's too bad because he was such an engaging character.

@Vivian

Same here, I read all the books and still have the paperback copies.  As for the films, my all-time favorite is Evil Under the Sun.  The film is rather campy (which actually makes for a lot of fun), and includes Peter Ustinov as Poirot, Diana Rigg, Roddy McDowell, Maggie Smith, James Mason, and plenty of over-the-top costumes and witty lines.  It's not your classic Christie, for sure.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

RIP Hercule Poirot.  We've enjoyed many a year of your sheer genius on screen.

From an adoring fan,

~R

@sfnative

Love this series, too.  Hope you are enjoying your new home.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.