Esteemed Contributor

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary out of Utah has mounted a rescue team to help save animals in TX.

They are one of my favorite charities.  Their website and FaceBook pages tell what they are doing.

They helped during Katrina and many other disasters.  They also took in Michael Vick's dogs for rehab. 

They do so much to help the helpless!

I know there are other organizations helping too, but just in case anyone is looking for a way to help the animals, I wanted to pass along this info.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Helping the animals in TX

All pets in Houston should be as resourceful as the dog who was seen carrying his food bag to higher ground.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

The Daily Mail has a story right now about what happened to that cute little dog that was tied up.  A Daily Mail photographer took that picture and then brought the dog to a shelter, where it is now.  He wants to adopt the dog but must go through channels.  I hope he can do this, as the owners who tied that dog up as flooding was on the way should not get this pet back.  I'd post the link, but I'm not sure whether that's allowed.  The story is on the Daily Mail US right now, though.

Interestingly, someone commented yesterday that whoever took the picture wouldn't just leave the dog on its own.  I guess that person was right because the photographer brought the dog to a shelter.  What a nice story!

Esteemed Contributor

Local animal rescue organizations are enroute to Texas to pick up animals that are already in shelters to free up space for incoming. These animals will be transported to shelters in the NE that can accomodate them.

These efforts are very costly to local organizations so if there is one in your area doing something similar please consider supporting them.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

All the cows,horses ,farm animals ,i bet many have drowned.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the news on Best Friends.  That is one of the animal shelters I give money to.  The Humane Society of the US is also a good org.  Please pray for these animals as some people don't give a care at all about them.  Please also pray for the poor people who lost homes and family.

Esteemed Contributor

The Animal Rescue Site also has Flights to Freedom at $5 per pet to rescue them from Hurricane Harvey.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I wrote this on another thread but my money will go to the Houston SPCA.  Best Friends must already have a ton of money I would judge based on their facilities and staff.  The Houston SPCA has been featured on Animal Cops Houston on Animal Planet for years as an agency that investigates and helps prosecute animal cruelty cases.  They've done hurricane rescue in earlier storms, going to homes where owners have given permission and rescuing pets that were left behind.  They set up shelters and held hundreds of animals until their owners could claim them, all without the help of Best Friends. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624

Thank you for your comments.  I've made a donation to the Houston SPCA, too. 

I was not familiar with their work and I appreciate your taking the time to say something.

My main goal is to get help to the animals and a local organization that already does that is a good option.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary out of Utah has mounted a rescue team to help save animals in TX.

They are one of my favorite charities.  Their website and FaceBook pages tell what they are doing.

They helped during Katrina and many other disasters.  They also took in Michael Vick's dogs for rehab. 

They do so much to help the helpless!

I know there are other organizations helping too, but just in case anyone is looking for a way to help the animals, I wanted to pass along this info.

@Witchy Woman, I posted the message that Best Friends posted on their website in one of the other threads on the subject. I have donated to them for years. They sponsor two large no-kill shelters in LA, in addition to their Utah main campus.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all