Esteemed Contributor

@Fiero Woman wrote:

I just realized today we had an 85 year old woman with no heat right down the street.  Called neighbors and she now has 4 oiled filled heaters in her home.  Her livingroom, bedroom and bathroom are a cozy 75.  

That's great - neighbors helping neighbors.  Smiley Happy

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Respected Contributor

@MKR14  That is really wonderful what your town is doing and I hope it works the way it was intended.

Putting out coats and other warm items for the homeless would never work here.  People would take the items and then sell them.  They even steal the clothes off unfortunate people who are in wheel chairs.

Honored Contributor

@Fiero Woman wrote:

I am military, 20 years, and when when someone knocks PTSD, I don't like it. I never knew. Yes, I am a woman and I am strong.  I am not weak, I am tough, I have had to be but I have fears and challenges.  I have my service dog who keeps me safe, 10 lb long-haired dachshund. Amazing something so small piques my courage.

I read through this entire thread twice and unless I missed it twice or it was deleted by the moderators, where did anyone knock PTSD?  

Valued Contributor

HELBURNE, Vt. — Police say a man in Vermont has used a machete to attack a woman in her 70s as she delivered meals to a motel being used as emergency housing for the homeless.

WCAX-TV reports 32-year-old Burlington resident Abukar Ibrahim is accused of attacking the 73-year-old Meals on Wheels volunteer who was dropping off meals at Harbor Place, which serves as a temporary emergency housing facility. The attack happened Friday in Shelburne.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/woman-delivering-meals-to-the-homeless-attacked-with-machete...

Trusted Contributor

Hi, & Happy 2018 to you & your's! What a great post, it made me really stop & think. We (hubby & I) donate on a regular to many diff charities & do our best to get out there & give the gift of time also. Your topic is great, especially for this time of year, thank you! I think that's wonderful what your community does for the homeless, GOD Bless all of you!

Trusted Contributor

GREAT IDEA!! <3

Trusted Contributor

You live in a very special place, that's beautiful what y'all do! <3

Honored Contributor

I am all for helping people that became homeless through no fault on their own (losing jobs, etc.) but when you have drug addicts and alcoholics that will steal from anyone to get their next high, they need to go and get dried out and learn to be productive.  States with warmer climates really have an abundance of homeless people and in the colder climates, I really do not know how anyone can survive -15 below with coats and blankets.  Programs to rehabilitate people and housing that is affordable is a start.  it's really a sad situation but the federal govt needs to step in to help these people.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

People who are mentally ill or have PTSD commonly self-medicate.  That means drugs or alcohol.  Telling them to shape up and dry out does nothing to help, it's a lot more complex than that, especially when you figure 25% of the homeless population is severely mentally ill, not counting those with PTSD.