Respected Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Are there crumbs stuck underneath the keys?

Not that I would know or anything - LOL

@Bri36  That made me laugh.  If this were true confessions.......well I think there would be lots of crumbs, maybe even some coffee.  Cat Tongue

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

If you are handy with the laptop or know someone that is check out the videos on Youtube. You may just find the right fix. Just search laptop keys not working.

@Nightowlz  But...she doesn't have an "r."  Smiley Sad

Smiley Wink

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

Hi. Thanks so much everyone for your replies.

It started working again out of the blue but I know it will probably stop again.

Other keys in that area  above like the 4 and 5 are messing up too.

I was trying so hard to keep calm considering all of the other major things happening in the world to people but I was losing my patience fast!

I look like a bad Wheel of Fortune contestant lol! Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan I literally spit out cubes when I saw your first post.......OMG...sorry for your keyboard, but it is so funny!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

When that happens to my laptop keys, I take a flat butter knife and pop off the keyboard key caps.  They come right off.  Then I align them and put them back on,

The keys are a cap on top of a stem, sometimes they get wonky.

Honored Contributor

Can you use Cortana to do a youtube search?

Honored Contributor

I have a MacBook Pro and I have a problem intermittently with the letter "l". When it happens, I have a little stiff bristle brush that I run around the key to try and dislodge any dust.  I then take my can of compressed air and spray the key and the surrounding keys.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes I reboot.  I've decided it's now become a quirk with my older MacBook Pro.  I've done some Google searches and it seems to be a problem endemic to this age of MacBook Pros.  Several potential "solutions".  

Honored Contributor

Pqfan wrote:

Hi. Thanks so much everyone for your replies.

It started working again out of the blue but I know it will probably stop again.

Other keys in that area  above like the 4 and 5 are messing up too.

I was trying so hard to keep calm considering all of the other major things happening in the world to people but I was losing my patience fast!

I look like a bad Wheel of Fortune contestant lol! Smiley Happy 

Hi, @Pqfan!    I understand the frustration, and these days even though we can usually temporarily use features like Siri, Cortana, etc., we've come to rely on our electronic devices as an important part of daily living.    Great responses from our wonderful posters!   In troubleshooting keyboard snafus, the first thing we usually do is swap it out with another.    The idea is to try and pinpoint the source of the problem -- is it actually the keyboard itself or perhaps sketchy settings, software, drivers, etc., on the computer.   So, if there's some way for you to borrow another one just to check, give that a try.    I've learned what seems to be the cause of malfunctioning keys isn't always the real cause.   In the meantime, you're seeing plenty of good ideas here and you also can read online for more tips and and solutions for your specific device.    I'm glad it's working right now, and hope it continues to do so.   After years of dealing with this problem in medical centers...  oh, the stories I could tell about the causes of keyboards acting up and what we found lurking inside those keyboards... some of which would probably be censored by the moderators... 😜

Thanks for your fabulous, sparkling sense of humor...  you always light up the community with your wit and good nature, and I appreciate you.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Are there crumbs stuck underneath the keys?

Not that I would know or anything - LOL

@Pqfan  This is a good suggestion.  I've had this problem with a key at one time.

I also do not know anything but it did work for me.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

YAY...you got it back!! ....... I do the tip it over and tap the back, pop off the key tops and clean them off...use a tooth brush, vaccumme out, get the hair dryer and blow all the stuff out... we women are creative.... Woman LOL

-Do Not Copy Pls-