Regular Contributor

Our dog Willie had really bad itching.  We started with shots from the vet and then went to predisone.  It got to the point where neither were helping him and he was losing hair and red and raw.  Took him to our local kennel to be boarded while we went on vacation and they told me about this dog food they had called blackwood.  ( I was so worried they were going to tell my he had mange.)   So I tried it.  It was a miracle.  No more shots and no more pills.  His hair grew back and the sores on his tummy went away from when he would drag himself all over the house.  

It is the Blackwood with catfish in it. They got rid of this dog food eventually and switched to Victor brand which did not work. Luckily we found a feed and seed store about an hour from us that sold Blackwood and he got back on that.  It is expensive but putting the poor guy thru 2 to 3 shots a month, when it got really bad, and him taking pills it was well worth the price.  Good luck and hope you find something to help the little fellow. 

He passed away 5 years ago at the ripe old age of 17.

Honored Contributor

Have they done allergy testing on the dog?  I would think the first step would be to find whether the allergy is environmental, food, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

My female GSD has allergies. I give her apoquel. She still has some reactions with the itching. I think she's allergic to grass and dirt...really. I bathe her with an aloe dog shampoo and a conditioning rinse for allergy sensitive skin. That helps. I also found a topical spray (Tropical line of products) for allergy relief. They make about 4 types of allergy sprays. This gives her relief on the really bad days/season. Hope it helps your fur baby.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried pure wild caught Alaskan salmon oil?  That has really helped to keep my dog's ears clean and skin conditioned. 

Esteemed Contributor

@20961 My poor terrier suffered terribly last year. Itching and licking until his tiny little legs were almost bare from loss of fur. Shampoos, flea treatments, nothing helped. Went to the vet finally and he took a skin scraping and it turned out that he had a skin infection. Never heard of that before. Prescribed antibiotic and prednizone and he's all better. Poor little lamb.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Regular Contributor

I suggest you try Lipiderm ~ it's fish oil Omega 3 and 6 supplement for dogs.  It has helped our dogs immensely.  You can buy it on Chewy ~ I use the liquid but I believe it also comes in capsules.  Not only has it stopped the itching, it also helps with the shedding and your fur baby's fur will be softer to the touch. It's worth a try ~ I noticed a change for the better in less than a week and have continued to give it to him every day.  Good luck!