Respected Contributor

Help with Computer - Copying Files to a Disc

OK.....I feel like an idiot as I have done this in the past.

I have an old desktop computer that I'm junking and I want to save some files and pictures. I have one of those external Click Free Hard Drive thingy's and can't get it to work. It keeps telling me that it can't find the "driver". I called Dell and they can't find it either. So I give up. Of course for a fee they will dig deeper. The computer is going in the garbage and I don't want to put any $$ into it.

I'm just going to copy what I want onto a disc and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it.

As I mentioned, I've done it in the past, but it's been so long I can't figure that out either.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

Re: Help with Computer - Copying Files to a Disc

Does it plug into a USB port....try a different port. It's possible it is not being recognized because of a faulty port. When you go to your Computer you should be able to see your Hard Drive which should be your C: drive and then it might be labeled in a section for removable storage...for exmaple on my PC right now I have showing on my Computer to have 1 hard drive whcih is my C: drive....2 removable storage D: is my DVD drive and E: is an external disk drive I have plugged in to save a file I'm working on.

Respected Contributor

I tried all the ports SK.....let me go check the drives.

Dell couldn't figure out what was wrong, which is why I'm frustrated and trying to copy to a disc.....after I figure out how to do THAT. Having a brain freeze today.

Thanks

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

Isn't it SO frustrating? Don't know why, but I have found that it seems to matter WHEN something is plugged in. Could you try not plugging in until the computer is fully on? Sometimes I have to try a couple of times with my IPod.

Respected Contributor

OK.....I removed and re-insterted the disc and the window popped up to drag files.

Honored Contributor

On 5/1/2014 Lotus~ said:

OK.....I removed and re-insterted the disc and the window popped up to drag files.

Hey Lotus~

And then what did you do? You have to have a drive letter or another "open drive" to be able to "drag n drop" files. Does the CD/DVD burner show up in "my computer"? If so find out what the "drive letter is(E-F-G-H or something like that).

I am assuming you are trying to use a built-in CD burner on your computer, no? Will wait and see if you answer these things before putting up any more info. But if you still need help I would be more than happy to "give it a go" with you.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Depends on how old your computer is and I'm assuming you have some version of Windows on it. I would use ""Windows Explorer"" which should show all of the drives you have active on your computer. Open both drives and then drag and drop.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986