Trusted Contributor

Help....renting a car for the first time and need advice, please!

Wow!  What a hassle it seems to be to rent a car.  I live in a very rural area with only a couple of options.  Hertz was offering me the best deal, but I will have to drive about 50 miles to pick of the rental.  

I called CS last night, and I was quoted a rate for the days we need to rent a car.  Of course, I wasn't able to speak to anyone in this country, and I had a very difficult time understanding the CS rep.  She assured me if I gave her my name the price she quoted me would be in the system.  I repeated the quote amount a few times, and I also repeated the confirmation number.  

Well, because I know how things work sometimes, I decided to check online to make sure the rate she quoted me was in there system.  I entered my confirmation number, but all I got was a notice telling me my reservations was "pending".  I called CS again and was quoted a rate that was $300 more than the rate I was quoted last night!  UGH!

I explained that the CS last night assured me my rate was secured and would not change, but they told me there is nothing they can do.  Also, I found out they will be doing a credit report on me, as the only major credit card I have is also a debit card.   Again....UGH!  I have excellent credit, but I don't want my score going down.

This is turning into a terrible hassle!  Can anyone give me some helpful suggestions?  How can I get that original quote?  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Help....renting a car for the first time and need advice, please!

For some reason you need a credit card (not debit) to rent a car. If you have that you can use sites like Travelocity to find car types and prices. 

Esteemed Contributor

I used to rent regularly from Enterprise but not as much lately.

If Hertz is your only or closest location, call the location directly where you'll be picking up the vehicle. Establish yourself as a customer & talk to someone locally. Avoid the 800# run around. Some Hertz locations used to be at car dealerships, etc.

If your only card is a debit card, trust me, they will work with you no matter what they say. Bring proof of insurance, too. I rented from Enterprise 2 weeks ago and this was the first time I was asked for it. Years ago I rented from Hertz with only a debit card. No one ever pulled my credit tho they said they would. Caution, things may have changed.

Be prepared for a BIG hold on your debit card until you return the vehicle. I rented with a cc 2 weeks ago and they put a $750 hold on my cc. This was a cc, not debit. I will clarify, I did rent a full size SUV.

Honored Contributor

Rental car companies will require a credit card as a guarantee for any damage (or if you don't return the car when agreed).  A debit card wouldn't be of any use because you may not have much money in your account.

I've rented cars many times.  I agree with the advice of checking rates on sites like Expedia, Orbitz, etc. but also, if you belong to any warehouse club, check their rates.

When you are finally at the rental desk, don't let them bludgeon you into taking more insurance than you need (which will almost always double or more the total price).  Check your own insurance plan first.  Most cover you for whatever car you're driving.  And some credit cards, like Discover, provide free damage liability waiver, if you use that card.

If they try to persuade you to "upgrade", don't do it.  Often it's because they no longer have the class of car you contracted to rent.  (It's always first come, first served.)  If that's the case, they are obligated to upgrade you at no cost to you.  Period.

Lastly and most important, do not sign anything until you double-check the total rate you are being charged on the day!  There have been several times (including my last one at Dulles Airport) where the rate on the rental contract was considerably higher than what I had in my confirmed contract.  (Always take a copy of that with you to the rental kiosk.)  When I queried it, I got  a lot of "don't know, but this is the rate".  I said "I don't think so!" and insisted they revise the paperwork before I would sign.  This was with Budget Rental and it took over an hour and three staff members before I got them to fix it.  I will never rent from Budget again.

You need to check, double-check and triple-check everything.  And don't let them bulldoze you into paying for anything more than you agreed to.

Rentals are often necessary, but "buyer beware".

Honored Contributor

another note......if you have AAA or an AARP card you can get discounts at various car rental companies.

also check out retailmenot.com for lots of hertz coupon codes.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I thought that was the numbe one reason to have to have a credit card, to be able to rent a car. 

I just rented a car from Enterprise on Monday on the internet, I think I went to through Expedia.  Locked in a low rate and when I called the Enterprise office they already had all my info.  Smooth transaction.

I almost always choose Enterprise as the guy who started it served on the USS Enterprise (go BIG E!--although she's retired now) as did our son.

They offer pick-up service so you don't have to inconvenience some one else to give you a ride and would've given me a ride to where ever if I needed when I was done my traveling.

Honored Contributor

If you're a Costco Member, you can get discounts on rental cars.  It's on the Costco website with click through links to the rental companies - a few to pick from.

Trusted Contributor

Good information here. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

We learned a long time ago that when they connect you to another country to talk to a service rep just kindly ask to talk to someone in the US. They are very nice about it and will immediately connect you! This is with any company you have to deal with.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

We frequently rent a car and I usually use Hotwire.com. You can prepay and I find that I get a good rate thru them.  It is all handled online.