Honored Contributor

Help With Cover Letters

[ Edited ]

So, gone are the days when you filled out an application for a job and interviewed in person. Nowadays you search online to apply for a position. Here in lies the problem for me, I'm not a techie and don't know how to compose a cover letter to go with my resume when applying for a job. There are websites that help you write a letter claiming to be free but always want payment before you can download or print the cover letter. Also I have no idea which template to use for my letter. Can anyone offer me any tips?

Respected Contributor

It should be pretty short and highlight the reasons you'd be great for the position.

Google 'sample cover letter for resume' and look at the images for ideas on format, etc.

Trusted Contributor

Just Google sample cover letter. Indeed.com has dozens. Career builder  probably does too. AARP has a template guide. Lots of stuff available for free.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2    Your local state employment service office probably has workshops covering job search skills including resume and letter-writing.  Call and ask.  They will be free.  Well worth the time and effort.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Help With Cover Letters

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 

If you Google "how to write a cover letter", you will see that the purpose of it is to spark enough interest in your qualifications for someone to take a deeper look at your resume and job references.   When I Googled it, I read a nice cover letter that could be used as your guide.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

The easiest method is to line up everything to the left margin.

Company Name

Address

City, State Zip

Date

Dear Mr XXXXXXX:

Paragraph

Paragraph

Paragraph

Sincerely,

(4 spaces) for your signature

Your name in print

Hope this helps.

The fees you saw were for different phrases to insert into you document.

Respected Contributor

In addition to the above, it might be a good idea to include the name of the position and job # near the top.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 Artificial intelligence is reading and selecting candidates for a response in the large companies. To catch that computer's attention there are buzz words it is programmed to recognize. Including phrases that contain those words helps to get that all important first interview and contact with a human.

Google "buzz words and phrases to include in a cover letter." I hope the list I saw a while back will appear. It can't hurt to use those terms even with a small business. Good luck in your search.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everybody!

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

If you do an RE:                put it before the Dear Mr.XXXXX 

Re: Exact name of position for which you are applying.