Respected Contributor

Help/Suggestions With My Restoration/Storm Damage Work Not Going Well

I hired a company to repair storm tree damage on my roof and inside my house. I have had nothing but problems with them from the start which was 2 months ago.

I looked them up and could find no complaints and many other companies didn't want the work since it wasn't considered a big job. I picked this company and it has been one problem after another, length of time to start the work, shoddy work and ended up with more damage then when I started. It rained in my house while part of the roof was off and created more water damage than I had before.

They think they are finished now, I only had them do some of the repairs (much more was needed on other projects) but I said forget it.

I had a roof replaced, even that didn't go well and the back room ceiling was given new drywall, mud and paint. It looks bad and mud and sanding particles ended up everywhere even in my furnance. I am waiting for the project manager to call me and expect me to pay for the work. He doesn't know what a bad job they did but lets just say he is sick of me complaining because the job should have been finished 6 weeks ago. Excuse after excuse of my job being put on hold to fix other problems they were having and calling in sick. I don't want the workers coming back to fix it again.

I am afraid if we don't match on what we both think should be paid that they might put a lien on my house and I don't want to hire an atty which would probably cost more than the work itself.

I called the BBB and they said I needed to file a written complaint. I am not ready to do that yet but didn't know if I had other options on settling this acct.

I want to be prepared when they call. I am happy to pay for the work done right but not the bad work. I have not called the company owner yet. Sorry this is so long...

Respected Contributor

Re: Help/Suggestions With My Restoration/Storm Damage Work Not Going Well

Take pictures of everything that you consider shoddy or poor work. Do you have pictures of what it looked like before? I would wait for the project manager to contact you and then go over all the items that you feel are not up to standard. See what he says and if things are not resolved to your satisfaction, then file a complaint with the BBB. Document everything!! I wouldn't worry about a lien on your house at this point. There are too many other ways to come to a resolution first. Don't let anyone bully you. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Take pictures of everything that you consider shoddy or poor work. Do you have pictures of what it looked like before? I would wait for the project manager to contact you and then go over all the items that you feel are not up to standard. See what he says and if things are not resolved to your satisfaction, then file a complaint with the BBB. Document everything!! I wouldn't worry about a lien on your house at this point. There are too many other ways to come to a resolution first. Don't let anyone bully you. 

Thanks, I took my own before and after pics and have a very long list of complaints. I learned from working to document, document...

The BBB has many yelp complaints against themselves. I thought about Call for Action news or someone like that.

Honored Contributor

I think you should have had something temporarily put over the hole on the roof like plywood and a tarp. I think you will have trouble from your insurance co about paying for additional damage because you didn't seal up that hole before it rained.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think you should have had something temporarily put over the hole on the roof like plywood and a tarp. I think you will have trouble from your insurance co about paying for additional damage because you didn't seal up that hole before it rained.

The original hole was tarped and boarded right away. When the roofers showed up 6 weeks later to put the new roof on a huge thunderstorm came through when the roof was open which created more damage inside the house. The roofers are responsible for not being prepared to handle unforeseen problems. It's been one mess after another. Had the roofers not postponed the roofing job 4 times it would have been dry weather plus I went without gutters for 6 weeks. I finally called a gutter co to come out the next day and put gutters up no thanks to the original company I hired. I waited 6 weeks for a porch light so I could carry my senior dog outside at night and had to do that myself too. I fell twice.   

Trusted Contributor

Call your state's attorney general's office and file a complaint. Call an attorney and sue the builder.

If the second round of water damage was the fault of your contractor, I'd expect the insurance company to reimburse you. It doesn't hurt to ask and argue with the claims person in charge.

Congratulations on keeping good records!

I went through what yuo did, Had a giant pine tree clip my roof. Even with a good builder it was an awful ordeal. Get what you deserve!!

Candy