Regular Contributor

Help! Medicare prescription coverage

I have prescription coverage from my previous employer that I use but I am being charged from Medicare for prescription coverage.  I have called Medicare and just had a live chat to disenroll from the Medicare prescription plan.  The agent wanted to cancel my employer's coverage, then cancel all my Medicare coverage.  Another told me on the phone that I can disenroll from Medicare if I want and I should contact Medicare,  isn't that what I was doing???   Please help me understand- I am so confused.  I don't need both plans.  Right?  I don't pay for my employer's coverage so I want to keep that.

Respected Contributor

Re: Help! Medicare prescription coverage

@Scooty When in doubt don't! All of that advice sounded confusing to me. Hopefully some other posters will have the answers you need.

Honored Contributor

@Scooty   any chance your employer's business office can help you. Are they paying for original Medicare? I had to start paying separately for Part D when my former employer moved us out of the original plan.

Honored Contributor

This makes no sense.

What type of Medicare do you have?

If you have Traditional Medicare, Parts A & B you would have had to sign up yourself for Part D.  It's not an automatic.

Regular Contributor

Maybe I can make this clearer.  My previous employer provides prescription drug coverage at no cost to me.  Medicare is charging me for prescription drug coverage.  Can I cancel the Medicare coverage?  It won't effect my employer coverage, right?  I'm sorry but I find all medical plans so confusing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

Maybe I can make this clearer.  My previous employer provides prescription drug coverage at no cost to me.  Medicare is charging me for prescription drug coverage.  Can I cancel the Medicare coverage?  It won't effect my employer coverage, right?  I'm sorry but I find all medical plans so confusing.

@Scooty

I have my Medicare coverage including part D paid for by  my pension. If I touch anything, I will lose everything.

Please contact your current carrier and ask for a written statement of what to do.

I get a written statement each year concerning the Medicare part D plan. 

Honored Contributor

Have you registered at the medicare.com site in order to see your account?  You will be able to see all your coverage and where any monies you are being charged are going.    

Valued Contributor

@Scooty  

Do not cancel anything. 

call  the SHIP  counselors for your state. They provide FREE personalized health insurance counseling NOT attached to any company. 

The phone number is on the back of your Medicare &You 2022 book.

Or, go to www.shiphelp.org scroll down to find listing of states, and your state phone numbers.

If you are in Florida, it is the SHINE program.

From what I read in the Medicare book,  pg. 88 , you can have coverage from previous employer.It says 

"If you have coverage, your employer will notify you each year to let you know if your drug coverage is creditable.Keepthe information you get. Call your benefits administrator for more information before making any changes."

Valued Contributor

@Scooty  The Part D Drug coverage is an add on to Medicare. You choose it. But, if you have an Advantage plan it may be part of that and maybe that plan has a charge. If you have a supplemental plan, you choose and pay.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If you have TRADITIONAL MEDICARE which includes Part A and Part B along with Part D ( RX drugs coverge) you should be able to drop the Part D coverage

If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, you are not able to drop the RX coverge.  It is sold as a package and you have to keep everything.  The RX coverage cannot be seperated.

It sounds like you might have Medicare Advantage.