Respected Contributor

Help! I need pinking shears!

I have several "house dresses" that need hemming and I don't hem.  I used to sew, but no more.  (Mom, where are you when I need you?)  💖

Amazon has sooooo many pinking shears and I have no idea which ones to get.  The house dresses are a thin cotton.  I figure if I use pinking shears, the fabric won't fray.  (Hope I'm right about that.)  {*_*}  TIA

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

Re: Help! I need pinking shears!

Just get some of that hem tape you iron on.

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

Why do you think you need a pinking shears just a hem iron it and sew

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

That iron-on tape never worked for me. It always comes off after a while.

If you want pinking shears, get FISKARS brand. They make 8" and 12" sizes.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox.  I believe she wants to use pinking shears instead of sewing.  Sloppy way to do a hem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cotton fabric will fray even if you use pinking shears.  You would need to apply Dritz Fray Check along the cut line to stop the fabric from fraying.  This is a liquid seam sealant that prevents fraying and withstands repeated laundering.

One of the best pinking shears is the Gingher brand, very sharp.

Valued Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

I have several "house dresses" that need hemming and I don't hem.  I used to sew, but no more.  (Mom, where are you when I need you?)  💖

Amazon has sooooo many pinking shears and I have no idea which ones to get.  The house dresses are a thin cotton.  I figure if I use pinking shears, the fabric won't fray.  (Hope I'm right about that.)  {*_*}  TIA

Unfortunately since it is a thin cotton, even with pinking shears the fabric will start to fray - you need to also get some Fray Check - it's a liquid you would put around the hem after you used the pinking shears and that will keep the hem from fraying.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Before you call someone sloppy, it may (or may not) interest you to know that I have had 17 surgeries and I suffer with chronic pain every hour of every day of my life.  I am looking for the easiest way to hem HOUSE dresses.  No one but my husband is going to see me in them.  I have, however, appreciated the other comments about what to use after the cut with pinking shears, etc.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox.  I believe she wants to use pinking shears instead of sewing.  Sloppy way to do a hem.

@Kachina624 , Seems to like to  step on others.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.