Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@SilleeMee      I had one of those in an old apartment in L.A. in the 1970s.  One day I stood too close to it...and my WIG got singed!!    di

@Desertdi 

Omg! I know those things were so dangerous. 

Honored Contributor

Living in southern Indiana, we lived in quite a few homes,mostly rented most people had coal, with the shoot in the basement, others had  a  stand alone  stove type  thing,not sure if it was coal,don't think so.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Never had any of those. We always had gas furnace. That looks very dangerous and HOT. I would think kids could have been burned by it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@On It  When DH and I got married, we moved into a half a house on my grandparents farm. The propane space heater was the only heat we had. It had to heat the kitchen, dining room and living room downstairs and two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. There was a stove pipe that went up to the second floor. Needless to say, it wasn't very effective on days as cold as today. It was 80 degrees in the dining room, where the heater was located, and 60 degrees in the LR (next to the DR). Forget about upstairs. I wore long johns and a ski hat to bed.

One day I was sick and stayed home from work. I could see my breath until about 11:00 AM. I finally opened the window to warm up! 

When I was pregnant with our first child, we put in electric baseboard heat. Heaven!

Honored Contributor

My husband's parents had one of these. I had never seen one before then. I don't recall what kind of heating we had before we moved to Texas when I was in the third grade.  Dad was military before then so we lived in several States.  All our Texas homes had electric heat.

During this major freeze we've had to switch our heat pump to emergency heat.  It sure doesn't feel like 66 in here 🥶  it's 18°

Honored Contributor

@On It 

My aunt and uncle had one of these heaters on their farm in east Texas. 

Wow such memories😊

Respected Contributor

My grandmother lived in an old mill village house...years ago, these towns grew up around the textile mills. The mill owners may have built them, I'm not sure. Anyway, there was one of these heaters in every room! What a memory!

Respected Contributor

Growing up we had those stoves. My mom would put a can of water on them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Heat Source

[ Edited ]

@On It   My childhood home had that exact style heater lol.  We had it in the family room. My mom always kept a kettle of water on top to release moisture in the air.   As kids, we knew better than to fool with the heater or play rough around it.  We knew not to touch it.  I don't know about kids now though.