Esteemed Contributor

Heartstrings for Naples and Sanibel Island

I'm seriously worried for Naples Pier; but, I think this may go all the way up to 5th Ave.! What about Tin City? Sanibel. The nature preserve will make it just fine I think, but the point and all the condos are in trouble.

Honored Contributor

Re: Heartstrings for Naples and Sanibel Island

I'm not familiar with these areas-it sounds devastating.Woman Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Naples will drown if the storm surge prediction holds true.  Mandatory evacs have been ordered due to surge all the way up to Santa Barbara on the east and Sable Palm on the south.

Go to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ and click on the Storm Surge Inundation graph in the Irma box.  It could potentially get all the way up to I75.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I'm not familiar with these areas-it sounds devastating.Woman Sad

@Cakers3 My we spent so many vacations in Naples with our children while visiting our parents. Just perfect days and nights. Now, we vacation in Sanibel, when we can. They are both so opposite the vibe of Miami/Dade. Just laid back!

Esteemed Contributor

@JillyMarie Like something we have never seen in our lifetimes!

Honored Contributor

Sanibel tugs at my heart.  Wonderful memories.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

ALL of the Gulf barrier islands are at risk of being destroyed by Irma, from Marco and Sanibel, all the way up to Longboat Key and Anna Maria Island, and then on to St. Pete/Clearwater. I spend part of the year on Anna Maria and know it'll never be the same. With the north end and east side of the island in Tampa Bay and the southern end and west side in the Gulf, the entire island will likely be under several feet of water. It's a risk you have to accept when you decide to live on an island. I just pray that no one has been stupid enough to stay on those islands. Belongings can be replaced and property can be rebuilt. People can't. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Sanibel tugs at my heart.  Wonderful memories.

Wonderful memories! Can't even pick one that is best.

Trusted Contributor

@FrostyBabe1I have a bunch of friends who winter on Anna Maria Island.  One problem I noticed was that the buildings were, for the most part, older and therefore not up to current hurricane codes.  It's a charming Old Florida kind of place but if it takes a solid hit it could be severly damaged.

Esteemed Contributor

Steve Harrigan is reporting from Naples and says it's not as bad as Harvey and Katrina, but I just think it looks BAD!