Esteemed Contributor

Today, I stopped by Walmart to get a few items. When I went to checkout the woman ahead of me was paying for her groceries. Her little girl was playing on the cart. I saw her continuing to count her money. I thought the cashier was not finished ringing up her groceries. The woman gave the cashier back some of her groceries. They were two frozen dinners. They were the Mega Banquet Dinners for $2.98 each. By the time the groceries were returned, the cashier gave it to her coworker to put away. I would have paid had I known she was short. The cashier said the woman wouldn't listen to her about counting her money on the grocery bag turn table. She was disgruntled.

It just breaks my heart to see people struggling to pay for food. It made me stop and think to be thankful for what I have.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Heartbreaking Walmart Story

Happens at just about every store.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Reminds me of the exact same scene in Terms of Endearment. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh no, that's heartbreaking. I would have also offered to pay. That could be the difference between them eating a meal and going hungry. The employee seemed to be lacking empathy. 

Honored Contributor

Be Thankful Everyday.Cute Thank You Motivational Card Stock Vector -  Illustration of inscription, calligraphy: 63786837

Honored Contributor

Grocery store cashiers are not well paid. She probably has her own issues to endure.

Did you notice what else the woman bought? Milk, eggs, bread...or overpriced junk food like the TV dinners?

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain  I don't think we should be so judgmental of what was in this lady's cart. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Grocery store cashiers are not well paid. She probably has her own issues to endure.

Did you notice what else the woman bought? Milk, eggs, bread...or overpriced junk food like the TV dinners?

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

No, I came when all the groceries were already bagged. I think you missed my point. I am not judging a person on what they purchase. People purchase what they can afford.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated 

That's such a shame folks are struggling with buying food right now.  If not for the grace of God, any one here could have that very same problem.  Food security is a growing concern for many.

Even though this was terribly sad to read, I am glad you posted it.  I think sometimes we too often get bogged down thinking about our own struggles, that we sometimes forget what those of another might be.😔❤️