Esteemed Contributor

I do not kill bees, but I do plant geraniums at the front of my home.  Geraniums are noted to repel bees.  We need bees and when they are in your area, they are just looking for food.  Over 90 percent of the world’s plants are pollinated by bees. In North America alone there are approximately 4,000 species of bees that help to pollinate agricultural crops. But sadly bees are dying off in alarming numbers. As a result, the food supply is left hanging in the balance. Chances are most of the fresh foods, such as nuts, melons, fruits and vegetables that we all enjoy, are all pollinated by bees.  For some reason, I thought almost everyone knew that we desperately need to keep bees alive and they are dying off much too fast.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Some of your responses are making me laugh and I needed that. Yes the bee is taunting me and I will get him. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: He's taunting me !

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@Porcelain  wrote: I don't kill bees. We need bees (except for the carpenter bee couple that keeps trying to destroy my porch support posts). I just stay still when one comes around me and they leave me alone.

That's what it is ! A Carpenter Bee, not a Honey bee, sorry.  and I'm told they do destroy wood . I'm sitting here watching him again at the window ! Woman Frustrated

Is the bee huge and really round bodied and completely black? That's what my carpenter bee pair looks like. They hang around because they found a place to eat wood and prepare a little nest to lay a few eggs. The advice is to get rid of any loose wood like sticks or firewood from near your house. And make sure any wood trim on your house is freshly sealed.

Edited to add: They are unlikely to sting you. I just looked it up. Male carpenter bees have no stingers. Female carpenter bees have stingers but they really only sting people if they try to handle them or poke a finger in the hole they made in the wood.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

And don’t burn any wood during the process.  things could take a bad turn.

Respected Contributor

That's one smart honey bee! I've only been stung once, it happened when I was 17...I was riding a bike & a bee collided with hand stinging my middle finger. My finger blew up like a big frankfurter & I don't  know what hurt more, my finger or the relentless teasing... It's one of those things that's not funny when it happens but looking back It's hilarious.

Honored Contributor

That is so bizarre.  Maybe he's somebody you knew who came back as a bee and he (or she?) wants to communicate with you once more.

Or, maybe not.  But I do find it fascinating.

OTOH, all bees terrify me so I'm not sure how I'd do.   I don't mess with them as long as they stay outside.   I usually get so scared if one is flying near me that I've been known to go into shock just from the silly fear.

My friends always gave me a hard time because I love to swim with sharks, yet bees terrify me.  Go figure.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I have been dealing with this for several weeks now ! As I look outside of my patio window there is a honey bee who keeps flying to the window and peering in. So I bought bee insecticide and placed it on my living room table waiting to spray the "H" out of him because I'm afraid to go out to the patio for fear of being stung. I think he sees the can on the table (blinds are open) and he knows I have to open the patio door which gives him time to fly away at least out of the range of the spray. Everytime I open the patio door he takes off far enough so when I spray he doesn't get hit. So after trying to spray him again and again, I sit down on the sofa which faces the patio window and he comes back and hovers at the window looking in at me and I swear he's laughing !!  One day I will get that sucker !!  

@Goodie2shoes   If it is truly a honey bee, leave it alone.  They need to be protected, otherwise you won't have food to eat..

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes Yep!  He's gunning for you!  Sneak around the house and get him!  He want's in!  

Respected Contributor

@Porcelainwrote:

Is the bee huge and really round bodied and completely black? That's what my carpenter bee pair looks like. They hang around because they found a place to eat wood. The advice is to get rid of any loose wood like sticks or firewood from near your house. And make sure any wood trim on your house is freshly sealed.

It's huge, round bodied, black and brown. I saw it on google. I'm in a apartment complex with a wood enclosed patio. The leasing office found the nest and pulled it down but the bees don't care ! Leasing office says do what you have to to get rid of them

Respected Contributor

@Soonerwrote: Yep! He's gunning for you! Sneak around the house and get him! He want's in! 

Woman LOL