Esteemed Contributor
Honored Contributor

You know what @godi?!

I have one just like this who hangs around and I just saw him a few minutes ago hiding in a tree. He also likes to sit on top of this playhouse in the woods.

And I thought, I've never seen such a large hawk. My son thought he might be a falcon and then my bil said he is a Peregrine Falcon!

I think yours might be one too. We do have a lot of hawks around here too.

I have some great pictures of hawks but for the life of me I still don not know how to get a picture from my phone onto my computer! I'll have to ask my daughters. 

One nice person tried to spell it out here once but I just didn't get it.

Anyway sorry for rambling on, it just was so neat to see your handsome guy. Just tell him not to eat in your yard! That's what I tell mine.😁

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

The United States Air Force Academy has a falconry team.  They have different types of falcons they fly during football games.  If you have questions about any particular falcon, I feel certain if you contact them they will be able to answer any and all questions.  It's an amazing program.  We are lucky enough to live close and watch those amazing birds fly during games.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine,

That must be amazing to watch!

I love to watch Ospreys too. Their wing span is incredible when they fly.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay  @brandiwine 

Wow a falcon. Never thought of that. He was just flying from roof top to roof top. 

Valued Contributor

Just this afternoon i had one sitting on my side fece under the magnolia tree.  I said hawk, but now I wonder.  He was much more black and gray than the usual hawks I see.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

You're absolutely correct, that is not a hawk, it's a Peregrine Falcon!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@godi  If I'm not mistaken I think you said you live in the North Hills area of Pittsburgh. The peregrine falcons nest on the Gulf Tower in Downtown Pittsburgh. We live by Kennywood Park and we see them in our neighborhood occasionally. We also get to see the eagles that nest in the Hays area every now and then. I'm like a little kid and get all excited when we spot them! 

Honored Contributor

That handsome dude is definitely a Peregrine Falcon!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Contributor

I am also in the Pittsburgh area.  One day this week I looked out my kitchen window and a huge bird was sitting on our balcony rail.  It was a northern goshawk.  This bird was huge and had big talons.  I googled it to make sure what type bird it was and the picture on the internet was identical.  You don't get to see a bird like that  up close very often.  I was no more than six feet from it through the glass door.  A majestic sight, but I would not want to mess with those talons.