Trusted Contributor

I know people love to go to Sea World but after watching this documentary Black Fish and the lives lost and about the whales it broke my heart for the trainers that died and for Tilli............who I read died this January............I just don't think they need to be be kept in a tank and should be free.........especially whales it said they stay together especially the babies are always with the mom and she was so upset as they were taking her babies in Iceland.............I also saw them swiming in line............it is sad and I won't ever go and I know it is entertainment but to me it is sad and even to go to a Zoo.............we can see many things online and on tv without having to see these beautiful animals caged.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you seen Black Fish?

He seemed so sweet and loving and if I could swim I would have wanted to have gotten in the water with him how exciting that would be and of course lion or tiger cubs I would love to hold........... 

Honored Contributor

I heard of this quite some time ago. I, for one, have NEVER liked the idea of any living thing being cooped up in a cage or a tank. As a kid I was often taken to Marineland (grew up in So. Cal.) and even then I couldn't stand seeing those fish and other creatures imprisoned in those tanks. I hate dolphin/whale shows and think they should all be outlawed.

Honored Contributor

I've heard of this documentary before, couldn't watch it if I tried.

I feel bad for April the giraffe, tbh.  She just paces the stall around and around.  You see the male's head just hanging there in the darkness.  It's like wt--.

Then there's the whole bit about livestock used for food and how they live and die.

Who was that woman (in TX?) who realized cattle were petrified to be led into the slaughterhouse and worked to make it better for them.  A hero--that's who she is!

There are times I feel like animals are safer and more secure.  Hate to say it, but the rescued cats in cages at places like PetSmart and rescue facilities.

At least they're not still on the streets, petrified, hungry, sick and cold (or hot), no source for fresh clean water.

Ugh, I could go on an on.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I feel bad for April the giraffe, tbh.  She just paces the stall around and around.  You see the male's head just hanging there in the darkness.  It's like wt--.

Then there's the whole bit about livestock used for food and how they live and die.

Who was that woman (in TX?) who realized cattle were petrified to be led into the slaughterhouse and worked to make it better for them.  A hero--that's who she is!

There are times I feel like animals are safer and more secure.  Hate to say it, but the rescued cats in cages at places like PetSmart and rescue facilities.

At least they're not still on the streets, petrified, hungry, sick and cold (or hot), no source for fresh clean water.

@Lucky Charmher name is Temple Grandin.  My sister met her when Temple G. came to the school where my sister worked with people who had speech problems.  If I recall correctly, Temple was mildly autistic.  I believe there is a movie about her and her work with cattle behavior.

Trusted Contributor

I think it was Clare Danes who played Temple Grandin and was nominated for a Grammy. I remember Temple was in the audience. Really a remarkable women.

If it were not for Zoos however many species would for sure be extinct.  

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm

Lucky, my youngest daughter volunteers every Wednesday night at our local PetSmart, and also almost every Saturday at the local no-kill animal shelter.  She also has always adopted cats that are otherwise hard to place. 

Presently she has one cat who lost an eye, and two cats . . . a sister and brother who she couldn't stand to see separated.  Her prior loved ones have passed on and those were huge losses for her.

She loves all animals and would have a dog or two also if she didn't work full time.  Cats are okay with being on their own during the day, but dogs are not.

Years ago when my girls were little we had inside/outside cats.  They were happiest outside, but we didn't have the hundreds of thousands of cars on the highways in those days.  One of those cats lived for over 20 years and always knew where his home was (with us) no matter where we moved.  He came home one day and laid down under the picnic table and died.  His name was "Jack," and he is one of our favorite memories.  There were many others.

Nowadays they have to be kept inside for their own safety, as you said.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986