Honored Contributor

Have you noticed that after a while replies are not allowed?

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure what the status of a thread has to be for this to happen, but at some point "REPLY" is faded out.  I don't think the thread I saw was poofed, but maybe it was.  In that case, why is it still there?  Am I missing something?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you noticed that after a while replies are not allowed?

[ Edited ]

That only happens for the threads the mods "lock" to prevent further discussion, usually when the question has been answered or the thread is continually challenging the mods or the thread is becoming contentious. You can tell which won't allow replies before you even click on it if you notice a gray padlock looking icon next to the title.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

That only happens for the threads the mods "lock" to prevent further discussion, usually when the question has been answered or the thread is continually challenging the mods or the thread is becoming contentious. You can tell which won't allow replies before you even click on it if you notice a gray padlock looking icon next to the title.

Thanks HappyDaze.  Learning something new every day around here. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Well, that is just plain stupidity to lock a thread if a question has been answered. Sometimes there are many different answers and discussions on one thing. No wonder it feels like kindergaryen here all the time.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

@Mama Mia wrote:

Well, that is just plain stupidity to lock a thread if a question has been answered. Sometimes there are many different answers and discussions on one thing. No wonder it feels like kindergaryen here all the time.

mm

Actually it isn't always that way but if they answer a question and yet people continually question the answer because they don't like it and it starts getting nasty they will lock it. So in that terms, when people simply can't respect the answer to the question and won't let it go, THAT is more like "kindergarten" and deserve to be locked. So when adults start acting like adults, not children, then maybe they wouldn't have to do that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mama Mia wrote:

Well, that is just plain stupidity to lock a thread if a question has been answered. Sometimes there are many different answers and discussions on one thing. No wonder it feels like kindergarten here all the time.

mm

Agreed, at times, these boards have become very proficient at infantalizing their users, regardless of preaching to the contrary.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

Thanks HappyDaze.  Learning something new every day around here. 

You are welcome.

Super Contributor

I had not noticed that.  All I am really noticing is the difficulty I am having with the new system.   I keep blaming my tablet, but I suspect it may not be the problem!