Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever used a store tester?

Sephora in Oklahoma City is so nasty I won't go in the store.  DISGUSTING!  People pawing around in everything. . . 

Honored Contributor

Oh my, I would never actually put a lipstick tester to my lips or anything on my skin. When I wanted to smell the perfume I would spray it into the air if they didn't have strips of paper to spray it on.

Honored Contributor

I might occasionally use a tester for something, but not something that would touch any mucous membrane or have any potential to absorb into my body (except lotion or cream in a tube/bottle. But anything applied directly - no. And lipstick would be my #1 no.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I was at Ulta recently and couldn't believe all the cringe-worthy behavior going on.  The worst was when I saw a teenage girl using an eyeliner tester on her eyes.  Yikes.

Sometimes I apply store testers to the back of my hand.  I'm having second thoughts about that now.

I swiped a lipstick and a foundation on the back of my hand this evening at Ulta.  🤢

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I have only used perfume testers ,and then it's usually sprayed on a tissue or a card

A woman is suing Sephora, claiming their lip testers gave her herpes. I've never used anything like a store tester for lipstick

Years ago ,Avon used to give out samples, in tiny tubes to try

I would never even consider using a tester like that

https://www.bustle.com/p/can-a-lipstick-tester-give-you-herpes-one-woman-is-suing-sephora-3070605

"Years ago ,Avon used to give out samples, in tiny tubes to try

I would never even consider using a tester like that"

Why? Avons tiny sample lipsticks were 100% unused, sterile, brand new tiny tubes of lipsticks! I would LOVE hoarding those cute little tubes to throw in my purse! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2

I worded it badly. I should have made it clear I thought those were ok. I don't know why the store can't do the same thing. Cost I suspect ,it's cheaper to infect your customers ,than to protect them

Honored Contributor

Scent only never ever any make-up skin care item.  Not even hand cream ect...

If I do not want a lemon wedge at a restaurant anywhere near my food or drink I sure do not want items on my face that others have used.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yes. However, if possible, I spray the product with alcohol and then apply it to the back of my  hand. NOTHING touches my face unless it's sealed (lipstick blister packets, mascara mini samples, etc). Never skin care either.

Perfume I'll spray to see how it smells an hour later.

Honored Contributor

I use perfume testers all the time, but for makeup and lip products, I get a q tip and try it on my hand, never my lips.......I can usually get a good feel for if I would like it by seeing it on my skin....... 

Honored Contributor

Whenever I have been in a Sephora store on a Friday or Saturday evening, the store is full of young girls doing a full face of make-up with all the products sitting out for everyone to test. 

Foundation, powders, eyeliners, lipsticks, mascara, blush, eyeshadows.  They do it all and walk out of the store and go out for the evening.