Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have municipalities started collecting compostable material?

@Nightowlz That’s a shame. People want to do the right thing and  government does not make it easy for them.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Nightowlz That’s a shame. People want to do the right thing and  government does not make it easy for them.

@esmerelda

It makes me mad the recycling centers are not open as posted. If we leave stuff there when nobody is there they have cameras & they fine you??? Ridiculous. We are not trying to leave anything there they don't recycle.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover - because we have skunks, racoons, woodchucks and a few stray cats that would be going through it if they smelled it.

I'm not keeping it in my refrigerator waiting for the pick up day.

Honored Contributor

My family that has the compost collected have a small container with some filter in it given by the town to keep in the kitchen near your trash can. I don't think meat goes in it. 

They have a special can for the trash pickup that goes out to the curb. It is kept wherever you keep your cans for your regular garbage. Not really different than scraping your dinner plates into the trash in the kitchen, just in a different bin.

Just saying how theirs works. Now take another family member who has fights with the trash collectors as he refuses to recycle anything. They went back and forth for a few weeks over big pieces of cardboard. Trash collector lost and took the cardboard.

To each their own.

Honored Contributor

I would love that since we really have no place to have a compost pile in our small yard.
Honored Contributor

I wondered about this.  Last week an area on the South side of Albuquerque caught fire.  It was a large area and they said it was 25 ft deep and compost.  They had a devil of a time putting the fire out, even using the helicopters they use for fires, to drop water.  It triggered a bad air advisory where they advised people with respiratory problems to stay inside.  Smoke was awful.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Seattle has a clean green pickup each week that is converted into compost and used in parks around the city. There are restrictions on what you can put in, and you will be fined if it's violated. We can not only put in yard clippings, but can also include food scraps.

Esteemed Contributor

Here in the greater lower mainland area of Vancouver, B.C. Canada we have had separation of green waste (food scraps and yard waste like lawn clippings and tree clippings for a number of years. The green waste goes into a big green lockable wheeled bin and the household waste goes into a separate wheeled bin. Because I live in an area that can have bears (they come down from the mountainside), we are not allowed to put out our bins in the morning before 5:30 am on garbage pickup0 day or we can be subject to a big fine by the city or municipality.

For food waste scraps, we put them in compostable paper bags or wrap them in newspaper before putting them in the green bin so as to cut down on the smell and therefore any bugs that can be attracted to it. I have to wash out the green bin every couple of weeks when I mow the lawn as the clippings stick to the inside of the bin. I line the bottom of both bins with newspaper to absorb an moisture or liquid.

Before the big wheeled bins, we used to have Tupperware wheeled bins with handles that you pulled up to lock the lid. The raccoons would come by and stand up on their hind legs and pull over those garbage cans to get the lids to pop off so they could forage through the garbage. I used to have to bungee cord the lid on top of the cans to prevent that.

Twice a year in the months of April and November we can put out as many paper bags of leave rakings and bundled tree branches as that is the time of year when people are doing spring cleaning or winterizing their yards.