Honored Contributor

Julia Child

Martha Stewart--long ago

An ex-governor's wife

I have almost never done this now that I think about it, but the three responses were heartfelt and lovely.

Honored Contributor
Another story...not about a letter but something interesting. I once sold an especially beautifully illustrated Wizard of Oz book to someone on Ebay. When I went to print out the shipping label, I noticed the buyer, who lives in California, had the last name of Baum.

So I emailed him and asked whether he was any relation to the man who wrote the Wizard if Oz (and all the Oz books), L. Frank Baum. Yes indeed. It's Baum's great grandson (or great great grandson, can't remember which now). He told me he is always on the lookout for especially wonderfully illustrated Wizard of Oz books and loved the one I was selling
Wow! That was an interesting Ebay transaction. (I have the book too-I had bought one for myself and one to sell on Ebay).
Esteemed Contributor

Not that she was famous, but probably remembered by many of you, Kathy Levine.

Honored Contributor
Oh I forgot about the board censor. That was
D-I-C-K Thornburgh above; can't edit my post from this device I'm typing on.
Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Written

[ Edited ]

Between the ages of eight and eleven, I wrote to movie star Esther Williams often.  In return, she would send me an 8 X 10 glossy with her signature already imprinted upon it.  Obviously her staff took care of these things.

One time, however, she sent me a matte finish 5 X 7, which she actually autographed just for me.  She used a pen with white ink and wrote, "To (My First Name),  Love, Esther."

How I cherished that photo!  I kept it with my other Esther Williams photos and fan magazine photos in one of my three scrapbooks devoted to Esther.  Someone deliberately took it from my scrapbook to sell it.  I am certain about this and it still rankles.  I doubt if it fetched all that much money in 2002, but I'll never know.

Last year I wrote to writer/TV producer George Pelecanos, who is famous for his detective fiction as well as his two HBO series, The Wire and The Deuce.  He wrote back the kindest letter.  We had studied under the same English professor, plus we had a few other points in common.  Very nice man.   I honestly did not expect to hear back from him.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Written

[ Edited ]

On behalf of my then-8-year-old son, I wrote to Frank Drake, who was a prominent figure at the SETI Institute, which is devoted to exploring the presence of extraterrestrial intelligence.

My son had finished reading Drake's book Is There Anyone Out There? and wanted to ask Mr. Drake some questions about extraterrestrial life.

Yes, Mr. Drake called my son and graciously spoke with him at least half an hour.

(I haven't thought of this in years.) 

Valued Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

Yes, John F. Kennedy when I was a child. My mother and I lived in a large house with my aunts and uncles. It mysteriously disappeared and hasn't been seen since. I have a suspicion where it may have gone, but have no evidence. When I went on a trip at age 20 and left my things in storage with relatives, many things disappeared.

@Xivambala 

Some of my relatives must have paid a visit.

@Drythe 

HAH!! Well not that it matters to anyone else, but my original Barbie doll had her hair chopped off by cousins. Valuable coins were taken too.

Honored Contributor
Just remembered something.

When my father was a teenager he and a friend wrote fan letters to an actress named Jean Harlow. She sent them autographed photos. This had to be in the 1930s.

Anyway, I have the pictures in with my father’s memorabilia.
Honored Contributor

Jean Harlow was the Marilyn Monroe of her day, ALRATIBA.  You might have a small goldmine there.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have never written a fan letter. I think its sweet that Susan and the shark wrote back to you though! 

I don't even know who I would write one too, lol.