Respected Contributor

A fan letter to someone famous and gotten an answer?

I wrote to Richard Pryor after his injury at the hospital but didn't get ans answer.

I wrote to Susan Graver about 30 years ago and got a sweet note mailed to me 

I wrote to one of the Sharks on Shark Tank via email and got an answer, I won't say who but I was happy to hear from them and they were funny!!!

Please share your stories, thanks

Cathy

Trusted Contributor

No, I've never written a fan letter.

Years ago, one of my Uncle's was the manager of hospitality services, at a large Portland, OR, hotel. 

The Highwaymen, John Cash, Waylon Jennings,Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson, were in town, for a concert, and stayed at the hotel. 

He was asked, by the hotel manager, to personally handle their transportation, and be in charge, of making sure, that their stay was flawless.

He had never been much of a country music fan, but he said, they were 4 of the nicest, most down to earth, gracious guests, you could ever want.  

My Aunt, his wife, and a couple of her friends, attended the concert, which they said was fabulous. They also got to meet, all four guys..My Aunt said all 4 were sweethearts, but Kris had the added bonus, of being gorgeous 🙃😉

Honored Contributor

The only time I ever did that  was when I emailed the author of a book that I was reading.  In fact, I read a bunch of his books..  (non-fiction)

I found his email address (not famous - he was a college professor) .... wrote him a email ... he responded, asked me for my address and sent me a copy of his next book.  He said that was the first "fan email" he ever got!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Yes, I wrote a congratulatory letter to President Elect, Jimmy Carter, and received a gorgeous invitation to his inauguration.  I couldn't attend, but I have treasured that piece of history.  And I love the man to this day.

Valued Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Written

[ Edited ]

Yes, John F. Kennedy when I was a child. My mother and I lived in a large house with my aunts and uncles. It mysteriously disappeared and hasn't been seen since. I have a suspicion where it may have gone, but have no evidence. When I went on a trip at age 20 and left my things in storage with relatives, many things disappeared.

Esteemed Contributor

I wrote to Jimmy Stewart twice. He was too ill to answer.

His personal secretary wrote back both times.  I did keep her notes.

Trusted Contributor

Many times, and I used to work for various celebs.  It's why I have very little respect for them.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor
I did write a fan letter once to ****** Thornburgh when he was a legal pundit on Larry King's show during the O.J. trial. He was on almost every night and I thought he was very smart and classy and I pretty much agreed with everything he said
about the trial. He wrote me a very nice handwritten note back. But that's not the end of the story.

Not long after the O.J. trial I read that he was giving a lecture at a college about 40 minutes away so I drove out to it. An older couple and I arrived super early (I wasn't quite sure where the college was so I drove up early in case I got lost) and were the only ones there for a while.We got to talking and they had driven from the same city where I live, where they also live. And...the female of the couple was Thornburgh's first cousin and she'd come to give him some old family photos. The couple invited me to join them to meet and talk to Thornburgh after the lecture, which I did so we all chatted for quite a while. He was so happy that his cousin had come. A few weeks after that the couple invited me to have lunch with them at their country club, which I did, and we exchanged Christmas cards for many years after that until they both passed away.

Respected Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer   Your comment really resonated with me re working with celebs/respect.   We, too worked with lots of celebs and know exactly what you mean !

Sorry off topic - No have never written a fan letter but DH and my parents passed over to us their letters from Royal Family when they received their honours which are lovely to read and to pass on to grand children.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Written

[ Edited ]

@Xivambala wrote:

Yes, John F. Kennedy when I was a child. My mother and I lived in a large house with my aunts and uncles. It mysteriously disappeared and hasn't been seen since. I have a suspicion where it may have gone, but have no evidence. When I went on a trip at age 20 and left my things in storage with relatives, many things disappeared.

@Xivambala 

Some of my relatives must have paid a visit.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras