Honored Contributor

Re: 📰📚 Have You Ever Learned To 'Speed Read'?

@lulu2~

lulu2 -that is interesting. I found I didn't like it as much for pleasure reading but more for long texts, though sometimes I would re-read those briefly to catch what I may have missed.

I love it for when I am reading something boring or that I don't like or don't need. Maybe I am saying the same thing you are lol!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

I took a speed reading course the summer before I started college. It is probably different for everyone, but I can't say that it is really useful. In college, you have to study the book...not speed read. On the other hand, skimming a page or document, is a totally different thing.

The goal of the speed reading course was to read really fast and then take a quiz to see how much you comprehended. I have no need to read that way.

I don't think I want a reading test lol!

I can see from the different replies it can be 

different for each person.

😊

Thanks for the posts everybody!!!

😊👍😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

My husband was a slow reader and had a lot of reading involved with his job.  He took the Evelyn Wood course and his speed did improve.

I've taken several SR courses, including EW, which I took twice many years ago.  

However, I must say, the main thing that seems to have increased my reading speed was getting a KINDLE.  Being able to adjust the FONT size made a world a difference ... and getting reading glasses.  I started blowing thru 400 paged books like the wind.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

There's been a focus for the past few years in education on reading fluency as well.  However, there's no point in reading super fast if you don't comprehend what you just read.  Reading as quickly as you can without comprehension isn't reading.

Respected Contributor

No.  Though it might have been helpful with some college courses, I have never really been very interested in speed reading.  Now all my reading is pleasure only & I like to take my time to savor the words & ideas.

Honored Contributor

No.  I do remember speed reading from back in the day when I was in college.  I have no reason to speed read now.  I read and do a lot of research for work but I don't have to speed through it.  Actually, I'm looking for information, so I have to take my time.  I read for pleasure but I don't need or want to speed through books.  There are news articles and stories that are long and I tend to read the first few paragraphs. skim over the middle and read the last paragraph.  Or I just skip the long articles altogether.....it's not like someone is going to test me...lol

Honored Contributor

I already read and comprehend faster than almost everyone else I know.  I read every day and have been doing so since I learned to read in the first grade.

I learned to read fast by borrowing my older sister's racy romance novels. ( she is 16 years my senior). She would get angry and grab the books back if any were missing from her bookcase.  I learned to read them very fast so I could return them before she noticed they were gone.  They were really racy, so I got an education for sure.

It not unusual for me to read a novel a night.  I read all the books in the Hunger Games series and all three Fifty Shades of Gray novels in the same week.

I love the free Kindle books and borrowing books from the library on line.  They save me a fortune.

Honored Contributor

In a nutshell, these are the techniques so that you are reading more at the same speed as your brain and not just your eyes moving across the page (much slower and your brain can get bored)

First they have you moving your finger across to the left and right but like a swirl covering several lines to include them in a paragraph. 

When you are comfortable with that and can still comprehend, you will notice that you see key words while doing this.

Then (and I'm probably skipping steps) you take your finger from the top left corner to the bottom right-a diaganol like and sweep it downwards as you are reading. You really do find that you can understand the gist of what you are reading as well as picking out important words. And there you pretty much have it (with practiceSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the posts Everybody!

😊

I think I'm more interested in comprehension

than speed but it's interesting how the mind works 

and the way speed reading does seem to work 

for some.

Reminds me of this which most of you

have probably seen:

Reading fun test

thanks again!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newziesuzie wrote:

Thanks for the posts Everybody!

😊

I think I'm more interested in comprehension

than speed but it's interesting how the mind works 

and the way speed reading does seem to work 

for some.

Reminds me of this which most of you

have probably seen:

Reading fun test

thanks again!

😊

I read the whole thing in 30 seconds.  I have been speed reading all of my life.  I guess I taught myself.  I start at the top left of the paragraph and go to the bottom right and finish in the middle.

If I want to concentrate, as in learning or memorizing something, I read normally.  But it's impossible for me to read slowly even then.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986