Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Gone Back?

Actually yes.  The new owners wanted us to see the changes they made.  In our opinion, they ruined it.  Kind of regret going back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I went back to the house where my family lived while I was in hs and that was a big mistake...house looked so rundown and the neighborhood was in shambles. Very heartbreaking.

I also had a couple of strangers knock on my door one day out of the blue asking if they could take a look around the outside of my house. I asked the older couple, a man and a woman, why and they replied that they were the original owners of my house. They wanted to see it one last time before leaving town. We exchanged our thoughts about the house as it was for them back then and how it was for me now. That whole experience was sort of sad for me...not sure exactly why but it was.

As we parted ways, the couple asked if they could sit on my sidewalk for a few minutes and enjoy their last moments there..."Of course!" I said and that was the last I ever saw of them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jackhound  I did once.

Ugh, the paint on the outside was the same, my beautiful roses were just weeds, and they had a mop hanging on the porch.  Not sitting on the porch drying out after been used, but HANGING WITH A HOOK on the porch like that was where it needed to go.

I just went to zillow and it's even worse now.  I've been out of that house for 20+ years, and it's never been painted, there was the bed of a truck AND a truck parked on the dead grass, with an overgrown tree.

So the house after that was larger, and actually isn't bad.  Looks like they put new flooring in, and it's for rent for 2K per month so I was able to check it out.  When I left that house (2 story), I swore I would NEVER live on that side of town again, and never have another 2 story house.

Wow - just awful and sad for that first little house and looks like its valued at $245K. Unbelievable!

EDIT***

I just remembered that when I was in Hawaii for my sons wedding, we drove to the house where my family lived and I was an infant and when outside looking, the now renters came out to see what we were looking at and we told them that we lived there 50 years ago.  They were nice to bring us inside and let us see the living room and kitchen.  I think my parents rented it for around $100 a month back then - with a view of the ocean.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

i see my childhood home when i visit mother, still lives in the home we all lived in since the mid-50s.  There are two neighbors from the old days still there. Very little has changed in the small hamlet.

i do drive by some of the homes i've lived in.  one is very close by.  the location is perfect for families, on a cul de sac. sometimes i think about stopping in to ask if i could see it inside. the deck we built is getting shabby. we planted a row of hemlocks 35yrs ago to create a front border on the lawn. those trees are so tall now and overgrown.

Esteemed Contributor

My nephew lives in my childhood home and I’ve passed by the house DH and I lived 20 years in but it’s only been 3 years. Already they are not into gardening. 

Trusted Contributor

Actually, I have gone back to see my first home as a child, which was built by my father in 1942.   I only lived there one year, but all my grandparents lived in the same town until they passed.  The town was Donora Pa. which is considered an historic district to this day.  It was known as Cement City because all the homes were built from cement to house the steel mill factory workers.   This was in the early 1940’s.....Fast forward to today....All the original homes are still there and well maintained.  Every year there is a walking tour to show the preserved town.  My brother and I took the tour a couple years ago and it was fascinating.  My original home and my grandparents homes were just as I remembered with very little change.   I had many good memories there and was so thankful to be able to see it again.   

Esteemed Contributor

I will never forget the day my bleoved sister (now in heaven) stopped the car and ran into the house we grew up in and asked if she could walk around.  She loved it,I was embarassed but now many yrs later,I wish i had gone in with her................

Respected Contributor

We drove by the house I lived in from age 3-10. Didn’t knock on the door, though. It looked nice from outside.

The thing that shocked me was how small it looked compared to how big I thought it was as a kid!

It was an older house in a well established neighborhood when we moved in.  Whoever had originally designed the neighborhood had families in mind. There was a beautiful park at the bottom of our road. It had tennis courts, a sandy playground complete with swings, slides, and a log fort. There was a huge grassy area for ball games, Tag, etc. On July 4th there were kids’ activities in the morning, circus early afternoon and fabulous fireworks starting at dusk. In the wintertime they’d flood the lower section and we could skate to live organ music. There was a library close by. 

As a parent I understand why my parents were drawn to this location and house.

Respected Contributor

Yes. But you can never "go back" because what you see is not what you saw when you were there. Memories are shadows in the mind. What you are looking at when you do go back is not the reality you had, it is the reality that is.

Valued Contributor

Went back to my childhood home! It made me cry, even though the people, my dear parents are who made it my home, were gone, the memories of them brought tears to me eyes. All the precious memories touched my heart.❤️