Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

So many here talk about the importance of "being open to it." It makes it sound as if a person like me is just closed-minded or walled off from accepting that because we don't know everything, then we must accept experiences that defy what we DO know.

I'm paraphrasing here.

I agree with the previous poster that such beliefs serve a purpose. It is difficult if if not impossible to imagine that we there was nothing of us before birth and nothing of us after death.

I almost wish that I could rely on certain beliefs to get me through the night.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

No, I haven't personally seen a thing. I would never rule it out.
There are many things we don't know yet..
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

So many here talk about the importance of "being open to it." It makes it sound as if a person like me is just closed-minded or walled off from accepting that because we don't know everything, then we must accept experiences that defy what we DO know.

I'm paraphrasing here.

I agree with the previous poster that such beliefs serve a purpose. It is difficult if if not impossible to imagine that we there was nothing of us before birth and nothing of us after death.

I can't speak for anyone else of course, but just speaking for myself I did not intend to imply that anyone is close-minded.  Being open to it is a very individual thing, and there are reasons why some people might be open to it.  Perhaps they experienced something they couldn't explain and so were open to the possibiiity of having something similar happen again.  Or maybe they're just inclined to believe.

I'm not sure I 100% understand your post, but I wanted to clarify that I myself (again, I'm not speaking for others) meant no disrespect to anyone when I wrote about being open to it.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I'm paraphrasing here.

I can't speak for anyone else of course, but just speaking for myself I did not intend to imply that anyone is close-minded.  Being open to it is a very individual thing, and there are reasons why some people might be open to it.  Perhaps they experienced something they couldn't explain and so were open to the possibiiity of having something similar happen again.  Or maybe they're just inclined to believe.

I'm not sure I 100% understand your post, but I wanted to clarify that I myself (again, I'm not speaking for others) meant no disrespect to anyone when I wrote about being open to it.

Thank you for the clarification, @NYC Susan .

There were several comments throughout this thread that overtly or subtly referred to being open and also to not being able to comprehend how anyone could not believe.

As for my post, I thought it was fairly clear, but maybe it was just clear to me. :-)

This really wasn't a thread that I should have even opened. Oh, well. Smiley Sad

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I have been following this thread from the beginning...I am totally in agreement that you have to be 'open to the possibility' of strange things happening. I have always felt it lifts a barrier, of sorts.  Yesterday, while having a 'heated discussion' with my DS,  our side door slammed loudly.  I had just passed by the door a few minutes earlier and it certainly wasn't open, however- I don't know for sure that it was solidly shut.   That's the only way to describe it....a slam.  It put a chill on the conversation I was having with him, definitely.  By the way, no one else was home...no one came by.  I don't know what it was for sure, except ''strange''.

Honored Contributor

Of course you don't have to be open to it. St Paul certainly wasn't. I certainly wasn't, nor scores of other people

It doesn't happen to everyone. It isn't a sign of being special, or holy, or enlightened. It  just happens. For over 30 years I have tried to understand it, and I don't. I just accepted it happened

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting Thread!...It's fascinating reading everyone's thoughts and experiences...It is my belief that there is so much beyond our knowledge and understanding, so who am I, in my limited knowledge, to discount others' happenings.

I also believe that we all have probably experienced "something" throughout our lives, but we just brushed it off and thought nothing of it...I'm speaking of more subtle quiet feelings and experiences...I have had several of those.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~